THREE

CHAPTER THREE

"I think we're ready," Marco said, hands on his hips as he looked across the kitchen from the head of the table.

"I can't believe we're doing this," Adelaide muttered, rubbing her face with the heel of her palm.

"We can't back out now," Harry added.

"If you're all going to react like this, I'm never cooking for you again," Robinson said, ripping the apron from her waist and dumping it on the bench.

The food was already set down onto the centre of the table, free to be picked on and Robinson reached for the eggs, shovelling them into her mouth. The sound of a sharp crunch left them all cringing. Harry held back a guilty laugh. It felt nice to do something normal.

Avery pushed the plate away. "Anyway, are we ready?"

"We all know what we're doing, yes?" Marco asked. After a reluctant round of nods, he stood from the table. "We leave in ten."

They soon gathered in the hallway, faces drab and dreary. Adelaide said nothing as she thought of all that was being asked of her. The return to Small Heath felt wrong. The danger of it all loomed in the forefront of her mind. Harry seemed to notice her quietness and nudged her with his arm. Before he could say anything, a new presence interrupted them by the door.

"You're not leaving me here." It was Martine- Marco's sister- who leaned against the frame, arms folded and dark eyes glaring. Their faces were almost identical, but Matine's expressions could be far meaner. "I'm coming with."

"You're not coming with, Marti," Marco said, shaking his head.

"Yes, I am," she said, coming to wrap her arm around hers, nose placed smugly in the air. "Adelaide said I could."

"You can't leave her here, Marco. Not by herself. Besides, we could use an extra set of eyes and hands."

"If any of you mess this up..."

"We won't mess up," Robinson said.

"You've cursed us now," Harry shouted, brushing past Avery, making her lean against the wall, but the look on his face was teasing and humorous.

"Leave the curses to your Shelby boy," Marti said, pulling Adelaide to the end of the corridor, eyes blazing with unspoken meaning. "Come on."

Adelaide opened the door and stepped out onto the narrow street. Bathing in the light of day, it looked shabbier in a way, yet less haunted and hidden. The air was cold and the sun low as they made their way from the house. When she breathed out, the air turned misty, tickling her cheeks. They didn't speak. There was no need to. The previous night had been dragged out long enough with frantic planning, causing too much arguing.

Martine walked beside Adelaide, with their brothers walking with Avery behind them. She had not yet been informed of it all. There had been no time to explain everything but she had confided in her about Tommy Shelby long ago, and so Martine had not stopped until Adelaide had agreed to bring her with them to Birmingham. Martine believed she was going to make sure things were turned right again- whatever that meant.

The group snaked around the streets silently as if they were a labyrinth and they'd memorised the map.

"So who's car is it?"