Two: Ultraviolence

Troy seemed...more Troy-like the next day. Granted, Chad only saw him for a split second and it was only to watch Troy get a promotion, but that wasn't so bad. His friend was doing cool shit, good for him. Genuinely, he was happy that his friend was getting a promotion.

Kitchen duty, waiting on tables, that was all fine. Great, even. He made tips and was fine with everything. 

Even seeing Troy with Sharpay during the golf lesson, he had faith in his friend. To not fuck everything up, because friends just didn't do that. Taylor didn't seem to sure, he could see it in her expression, and Chad felt bad for Gabriella too. But he didn't have time.

But it was the simplest act. Just the quiet, basic, "I asked for swiss on this burger" that almost sent Chad over the edge. And Fulton pushed him away, which was realistically for the better so he didn't throw it right on the ground there and then in front of these college athletes. 

He practically stormed back to the kitchen, thrust the plate to Zeke and did his best to keep himself together. He could sit with Gabriella and Taylor, swipe an uneaten half of Taylor's sandwich and do his best not to get emotional. He was about to throw something, break something, get himself fired who knew. Who cared at that point, right?

"Chill out, Chad," Gabriella said, though it was more of a whisper at that point. "He'll be fine. It's Troy, he wouldn't leave us like this, right?"

"I don't even know anymore." Chad huffed, looking down and picking at the chips Taylor nudged towards him. "I barely knew who I was seeing, he was all over those...other guys. U of A basketball players." 

"Oh, come on," Taylor said, though she didn't seem to be believing what she was saying, "he'll be better tomorrow." 

"It's tomorrow. We said that yesterday-" 

There was a loud call from Zeke. "Chad?! Better take this back out, it's getting cold." 

He didn't need that level of shit from Troy right now. Shoving the rest of the sandwich in his mouth, Chad went back to take the corrected plate and another one for someone else at the same table and returned. He'd safely finished chewing at least by the time he slipped the plates down in their respective places. 

Not even a thanks. 

Whenever Chad got his lunch break, it was pretty much set in stone that he wouldn't be actually eating.

-

Chad officially was having the worst day ever, reflecting on it as he sat on the steps outside the resort. At least, the worst in a very, very long time. Fuck Troy day, that's what today was. 

He was definitely going to the gym after Taylor dropped him off at home. Maybe pick up a few new stickers for his board if anyplace was open. Doubtful, but he could hope. For now, everything was closing down for the night, Taylor got off in fifteen or twenty minutes. Chad could live with waiting that long. Gabriella would be joining them on the ride home that night, not that he minded. Just...had to watch his Troy shit-talking. That was all. 

Not that he liked shit-talking his best friend. But this was getting ridiculous. 

"Why are you here, Chad?" 

He turned, biting down on his tongue before he even saw it was Ryan. Even after, it was still taking quite a bit of work. "I'm waiting for Taylor. She's not off for another half hour or so and she's my ride home." 

The blond took a few steps down so Chad didn't have to turn his full body. "You...mind if I sit?"

"...no...?"