A Little Monster's Tea Party

Wheezing hard from crying still, after being left all alone as his thumb in the sunlit drawing room, the small boy desperately reached out towards the open air. He still could feel the cool air which was caused by Mother's running, and he smelt the perfume the angelic lady was using. How he wished he could have smelled that from a closer distance once in his life... How he wished he could have hugged or touched that sure so good-feeling warm skin of Mother, or if she would ever picked him up on her lap... 

But it won't ever happen. Now he was entirely sure it would not. He had just asked her for one single kiss, and all she did was screaming at him in horror, jumping up from the armchair and took a few steps backwards. She was crying hard, and when he walked closer to her, asking poor unhappy Mother not to cry, she grabbed the small mask out of the boy's skeletal hand, and tossed it at him by full force, desperately sobbing. 

- Don't you DARE to remove that mask again! - She cried. - Don't ever remove it! 

And she was nowhere to be found, after he looked up to ask her why. 

   The mask, after being thrown at him, was now laying in front of his small feet on top of the floral patterned small round rug, peacefully as if nothing had happened before, like a dark makeshift pattern adjustment, covering some flowers out of sight, only one wrinkle of the part which was going to cover the boy's mouth when he put it on, could be seen, otherwise everything seemed to be so perfect. He picked up the mask sadly, with a sigh, and readjusted it on his head, accepting the sad fact he was never to remove it in front of Mother, ever. And he definitely never shall ask for a kiss... 

 He wondered what the mask covered from sight when he wore it. He had never seen himself before, those parts of the house he was allowed to enter lacked mirrors. Only one mirror he saw in the hall was at the stairs landing and he wasn't yet tall enough to reach up high to see himself. He only saw other people, and he guessed he was somewhat like others. He noticed already the area above his lips seemed to lack some flesh where other people had lips and he was confused why people could touch a part at the center of their faces with some fingers, or push that area. His fingers only slipped into his nose hole when he tried to imitate this gesture. Mother informed him later he had no nose and he had "ugly yellow eyes", but he wasn't sure how he could look like beneath that mask. He had worn that thing in all his life, he could not remember a time it wasn't on him, and he hated it mostly. Why Mother screamed and ran away so fast after he walked to her without a mask on him the first time in his life, only holding it in his hands...? Why...? Why?  Why can't he ever show himself to Mother? Is she afraid of him? 

 Slowly drying his eyes, he felt he wasn't able to stand there all alone and needed to talk to someone or something. The cat, sadly was nowhere near at that time, only Bisous was growling at him from the corner, where Mother had abruptly placed her down before fleeing out of the room. She sure was scared and literally fled away from him if she did not even take the lap dog she adored more than anything, with her.  While he was passing Bisous, the small furball continuously was growling and barking at him with anger and fear. Even that stupid dog hates him. He stuck his tongue out at her through the small opening of the mask which allowed him not to take his mask off while eating and drinking. Mother did it for him, he thought before, out of love so he will have more comfort, not having to lift up the mask always when he wanted to put anything into his mouth. The truth was, now as he found out, Mother did that out of fear and disgust so she did not have to see even a small part of his face while he was eating. 

 Walking out of the drawing room, he heard the painfully familiar sounds of Mother's desperate crying out of her bedroom, and he felt he needed to apologize for hurting her this much. He knew Mother did not like if he bothered her, but at least he could apologize... and promise her he won't ever remove the mask again...