1

The sound of my people singing hymns ring in my ears as I get out of my cot. The early morning sun shined bright in my small cottage. The dust from my feet landing on the floor was evident in the light. The candles I had left lit throughout the night were still smoldering in their holders. It was a bitter cold morning despite the sun already shining so brightly. My parents were in the main room of the cottage, my mother was probably sewing and my father getting ready to start his workday. My family stopped going to church before I had reached one and ten summers due to finances. Although we had livestock, it was only enough for the three of us and even then it was hard to make it through the winter. My mother is the seamstress for the town and my father is the blacksmith. 

                          My father and I have always been extremely close. He never forced me into getting betrothed to a man I did not love, though I have yet to find a man that desires me for a wife, it is still nice I have an option to choose. None of the women in my village have the option to choose to marry the one they love. Since I was young I would be attached to my father at the hip. Never separated. He knew when I would wake I would be in search of him so I can learn his craft. So far, I haven't learned much. When mothers hands started shaking she couldn't work as much as she used to, so I took over with the chores around the house. Feeding the livestock, cleaning, cooking, whatever she was unable to do, I would do it. 

                         I walk out of my lonely room at the back of the cottage and see my parents sitting at the table breaking their fast. I get my looks from my mother, long unruly flaxen colored hair, her eyes the color of honey ale and her short stature. My father on the other hand is burly. His dark hair surrounds his face and matches his dark eyes. He is tall and muscular with olive colored skin. As I walk into the main room he looks up and smiles. 

"My daughter" he stands to welcome me with an embrace, "So you have finally arisen, will you be joining us to break your fast?" he lets go and sits back down to eat his oats.

 "I heard the bells when I woke this morning, I was going to attend church this morn." Fathers eyebrows shot up in surprise and he choked on his half eaten oats.

 "Afore you ask why, I have a strong feeling I need to go. I will have a care and come home as soon as mass has finished." He nods his head in agreeance and wipes his mouth. Mother just continues to sew a dress for the physician in town. I kiss her head when I leave and walk out the door. 

                        The fresh air coming off the cliff from the ocean smelled salty. My favorite scent. The wind whipped my hair and skirts around my face and legs. Passing the paddock we keep the livestock, I see children playing around the grounds of the church. Walking up the hill to the church I finally notice  smoke billowing behind the hill. The singing has stopped and the entire forest around me has gone quiet. My gut is telling me to turn away and run back home to my mother and father, but I don't listen. 

                         I lift my skirts and break out into a run up the hill. It's complete chaos. Men and women alike are starting to scream and either run away to their children or trying to fight these burly looking men who have started throwing the church pews about and attacking the men who are trying to protect the town. The foreigners who are attacking the village are wearing stained tunics of different colors with their hair braided on their scalps and fur cloaks. They wield a circular shield and a double sided axe or sword. Standing on the apex of the hill is a terrible idea, they can see me. I remember the children that were playing by the paddock.  I need to get them. Almost every man of fighting age has attended mass this morn besides my father and a few of the fishermen. It is my duty to warn the unsuspected so they may have a chance at survival.