Chapter 18. PEARLS BEFORE SWINE

CHAPTER 18. PEARLS BEFORE SWINE

Fiona settled back into the hot, healing waters of the Nede Gardens, letting a blissful sigh escape her lips. She closed her eyes to the clouds of steam encircling her; relished the white rock beneath her, the mineral-rich water having shaped it for centuries into satin smoothness. 

In one vein of the rock, the trickling path of the waters had colored it in glistening bands of yellow, orange and pale green, like sherbet.

Loc Laeun had its share of luxuries, but the hot springs were its grand centerpiece, setting it apart from the Stayhouses of the other cities. The hot springs had been claimed even before the city walls were built, and the garden pavilions surrounding them were unparalleled. To be head Beneiah at Loc Laeun meant to be Queen of it all. Meant she could claim one gazebo all to herself, or, for herself and a client. She hadn't had too many of late; Lehran wanted her all to himself. And she had turned down offers.

She didn't quite know how she should feel about it. On the one hand, she'd made it to the top. Most of her life she had longed and worked to be in this very place. It was an honor and a title hard-won and highly sought-after. But she found herself not craving to take clients. 

She mustn't forget all that she had worked for. Couldn't let her growing feelings for Lehren get in the way. 

There was much to love about the Loc.

Most of all, its gazebo pavilions, built like shrines around the springs, each structure made of the finest and rarest woods. Black pine, Red Wood and Juniper. Screened walls and sliding doors let the soft glow of sun and moon in, but kept secrets from getting out. This one was her favorite of them all, given to her by Lehren.

 A single chrysanthemum lantern, five feet across, hung from the center of the vaulted ceiling, its amber glow emanating through hundreds of delicate, translucent petal shapes. The water reflected some of the lantern glow onto to the surrounding screen walls in a quiver of shapes and shadows.

The Chrysanthemum room, with all its subtle enchantment was all hers, as head Beneiah. 

Today, she locked the sliding door and kept her wristscreen on. The call came, of course, as she was just beginning to let all thought, all worry slip from her mind.

"Do you have the profiles?" came the garbled voice, an intruder on the sanctity of her gazebo room.

Fiona tied her hair off her neck in a loose bun. She hated betraying Lehran in this way. He was so very good to her. But he was sympathetic to Noms. To his own detriment.

"I do."

"How many?"

"Three for sure." And none of them knew she had just sealed their fates. She swiped her wristscreen to transfer the files and waited. Fingered the necklace of pearls she had received yesterday in a finely carved bamboo box lined with white velvet. Down payment. By all standards a very good one. 

The pearls were smooth, slipping through her wet fingers. She shouldn't feel guilty. She was used to getting paid to know things, or digging around until she did. Lehran paid her for her connections. Valued her for her ear to the ground on everything, her finger on the pulse of the city. And my hand on his cock, she thought with a wry grin. She gave him what he asked for, and more. It was a small price to pay, to act as someone else. To play the ignorant, yet lovely Beneiah. She did it well enough. And it had gotten her to where she wanted to be. She cared not what anyone thought of her. She wanted this. She slipped down into the water until her chin just dipped in.