Chapter 1: Part 2

Thank God it was unlocked, because doing so would definitely be pushing her luck. As she stepped out onto her front porch, she was met with a crisp wind that ruffled the deep-green trees lining her yard and the street. Sure enough, Syren's motorbike was parked in her driveway, and propped on it was her petite, irritated, best friend. Her long, strawberry-blonde hair blew viciously in her face, but Carina could still make out her sparkly-grey eye roll. Carina ran up-to her and jumped onto the bike behind her.

"Come on, let's go!" she cried happily.

Syren threw her a questioning look as she started the bike and they began to drive down the street of flamboyant, brick English houses patterned with colorful maple trees.

"You're really that excited about tomorrow?"

Carina threw her arms out and laughed, enjoying the rush of air that kissed her skin and swept through her hair.

"Think about it," she said, "the first day of college. No more ugly uniforms. No more, I don't know, rules, I—"

"Wow, that's a hell of a stretch." Syren laughed.

"Yeah well, not as much, okay? And actual, cool people. We don't have to feel like we're in a preschool every time we leave the class."

"I didn't need to leave class to feel that way. You know those people are coming with us right?"

"Not all—"

"Hold on tight."

Carina clutched her waist excitedly as the bike sped up.

"WHOOO—"

"Finish what you were saying."

"Sorry, I just haven't felt fresh air in days. I was saying they're not all coming. Tori is going to be studying in Qulantis and so is Bryant. There, I just named the two most annoying people on the face of the planet— aside from stupid fucking Arnie and the rest." She paused and looked around as Syren brought the bike to a stop, "Hey, are we going to be picking up Naya?"

"Yeah." Syren murmured, staring straight ahead of her.

Carina followed her gaze. There, in the driveway of 760 Big Lemon Road, was a moving van.

"The Quellers finally moved in." Carina gasped, "I heard the mansion they bought is right next to the Wolanwick Estate. Can't believe they finally struck rich."

"Do you think it's just going to stay empty?" Syren wondered.

"What else will they do with it? It's not like anyone is moving into town."

They laughed at the thought.

"Maybe the three of us could move in together! Have our own fashion studio and make our 'let's get popular' headquarters."

"Don't get your hopes up. Mr. Goldrinn probably already has some plan for it."

She continued driving down the quiet streets. It was always empty out on rainy evenings, unless you knew where to look. Of all the go-to locations on thundery nights, Bailee Smooth's Diner was Carina's personal favorite. There was something about cozying up against the soft leather seats and sipping on hot chocolate (in which the smell of the rain seeped in through the warm froth), while staring out at the darkening town as chilling stories were passed. It felt otherworldy altogether. Rain in general did. It was almost like stepping into an alternate version of the town they lived in; a darker, richer, more sinister one. The trees were greener, they glowed in the dark. The streetlights shone like lanterns in a lost ancient village, the clouds danced like mist in a glass ball, the residents, with their dark coats and bent heads, looked like criminals on the loose and the houses were ominously eerie.