Ch 59 - All We Know is Pain

~Sara~

As Sara regained consciousness, her head felt like a thousand pounds had been pressing against her skull. At first, she actually thought she might've taken the drink and was just experiencing the aftermaths of getting wasted; a hangover.

But no.

She woke up, tied to a chair with rope, and a piece of tape over her mouth.

Then the unrecognizable face of a person hovered over her as her eyes tried to adjust to her surroundings. In full alertness, Sara struggled against the rope straining her down to the chair, completely forgetting that someone was watching her as she was knocked out.

"Shh, hey," a familiar voice snapped at her, then lowered her voice, "It's me, Rachel. Quickly, here are your clothes. Let me get you outta there, and then just change as fast as you can before the others come and see you."

In the distance, Sara could hear the sound of grunts and hits, like there was a huge rubble going on in the other rooms nearby.

Sara squinted her eyes at her. "Rachel? W—where're the others—where's Newt?" She started to panic as she remembered the last turn of events before she was out.

Rachel reprimanded her once more for not keeping her voice down, so Sara tried to relax as Rachel cut the rope. Yet Sara was desperate to have her questions answered.

"He's fine," said Rachel. "He's with the others. We found you guys just in time. Seems like your friends had a blast," she added, raising her eyebrows. "But you and Newt were smart. I guess that's one reason you guys make such a good couple." She averted her eyes, and the same underlying sadness from before, radiated off her face as she said so.

Once she cut all the ropes and Sara was able to stand, she asked Rachel, "What do you mean we were smart?"

She rolled her eyes at Sara as if expecting her to know the answer to her own question. "You guys found a way to trick the Cranks into thinking you drank that nasty stuff...? Duh," she said.

"Yeah, I did. Newt actually drank it," Sara corrected her as she wrapped all that fabric around her head and face again.

"No, honey. He didn't." Rachel shook her head, then gestured at the guys as they all came rushing in, panting, and ready to beat someone up.

Finally, they were all there—Minho, Jorge, Aris, and the whole rest of them that were with them before the groups got separated.

"You okay?" Minho asked Sara, and she nodded in response. Then he turned to Rachel. "You too?" his voice, as he spoke to her, carried a recognizably softer tone. Coming from Minho, that really surprised Sara.

Rachel nodded before replying. "Yeah," she said. She reacted similarly to him, but as she realized she had, she quickly followed that with her typical smart-aleck tactics. "Of course I am, who do you think got her untied?" She nodded over at Sara.

Minho raised his hands in defense, and it was a truly shocking revelation because knowing him, he would never let anyone smart-talk him just like that, without spewing his own venom in retaliation.

Sara wanted to know how many times she roasted Minho after the groups separated, that he simply had to accept the fact that she was probably more fluent in the language of sarcasm than he was. That must've been so entertaining to watch.

 That must've been so entertaining to watch