1 ♛ The Celestial Flower

(Note: POV will shift between the characters.)

***

- Li Xun -

The silvery moonlight spilled from the hands of the night sky, seeping into the shimmering, calm waters. Accompanied by a thin sheen of fog hovering over the river, the dreamlike scenery was almost like a painting.

Amidst the calmness stood a young man in the waters, wading into the river with his body already half submerged. Even though he was soaking wet, the cold was the least of his worries.

After all, his mind was set on obtaining the treasure that lies in the middle of the Great Heavenly Lake.

A week ago, his expedition had begun. Accompanied by his most trusted bodyguards, the noble Crown Prince travelled out of the palace, his whereabouts a secret to everybody else. He could have delegated the job to someone else, but no. This was something he needed to do with his own hands.

It was for his beloved mother. After spending many arduous months of searching, he finally managed to find a potent cure to her terminal illness – the Celestial Flower.

According to the legend, this flower grew in a lake, one that was quietly tucked away in the mountains and surrounded by thick, forested valleys leading down from nearby peaks. It was often said that no one could enter this sacred place as they wished. The gods forbade mortals to use their produce as part of their wicked schemes. As such, they cast a barrier on this holy land; only those with a pure heart and bore a great desire to obtain the Celestial Flower would be naturally granted entry.

This was the reason the prince found himself venturing off alone. As he harboured a great desire to seek a cure for his mother, he was the only one who could get past the misty barrier. His guards, who were left behind, could only anxiously watch him go. They cursed their ill fate for not being able to enter, even attempting to throw themselves at the invisible barrier that protected the place, but their efforts were futile.

Before Li Xun set off, he had to reassure them countless times that he would allow himself to come to no harm, promising to put his years of training to good use. He wasn't weak. Despite being born into royalty, he was a formidable warrior too. He had confidence in his skills and nothing was stopping him from saving his mother.

As he went deeper into the lake, the freezing, cold waters rose to his chest. The moonlight illuminated the place, revealing to him the flowers sleeping on a tiny island in the centre.

A breath caught in his throat as he watched them dance in the slight breeze.

There it was – the cure to everything.

The fruit of his hard work was almost within his reach. Now all he had to do was to obtain it and hurry back to his mother before everything was too late.

Considering the depth of the waters, he was going to have to swim the rest of the way there. Without wasting any time, he dived immediately, cutting through the waters with strong, powerful strokes. He couldn't help but feel a ripple of excitement at the thought that he was able to accomplish a difficult feat that hundreds of thousands of people couldn't.

But to his greatest dismay, he got carried away. The next thing he knew, something had grabbed his ankle.

And it was pulling him downwards.

This story is available exclusively on Wattpad

This story is available exclusively on Wattpad. If you're reading this story elsewhere, it has been stolen and you're at risk of a malware attack.