Chapter 12

"Now all you need to do is grab that last box full of outdated stuff and just throw it somewhere in the back of the storage with the rest of the bits and bobs." Denise orders as she points to the last of the many boxes that were lying around upon my arrival.

Giving the fairly cooperative woman a mock salute thrown in with an "aye, aye." I get to work as I approach the entrance and pick up the huge hazard also known as an incredibly hefty box. Just picking up the box alone gives me an indication that not only will I be out of breath half way to my destination but that my back will be aching unexplainably in the foreseeable future.

Okay maybe the 'unexplainably' part is a fun white lie because we all know that I am the least unfit person around here.

Maybe that's the reasons why Denise likes giving me all these difficult tasks of lifting and carrying, and not to my other co worker who has muscles on her body for days.

Lugging the cardboard box laden with various types of Knicks and Knacks; I make sure to be extra careful when going up the stairs which is another safety hazard when carrying heavy 'equipment.' Of course Denise doesn't recognise that fact and simply refuses to do anything about the littering of unimportant items strewn across the shops sales floor. Even though she has a storage unit just adjacent to the building that was specifically used by the former owner to store goods that are not needed.

Dusting my hands off of the non existent dust, I place both hands on my hips and lean back, stretching in the most weirdest of ways as my back let's out quite a worrying crack. I definitely need to start reverting back to my usual morning runs. It kills me to even think about waking up at an ungodly hour only to start off my entire day not only early but with exercise on top of that. However I must admit, I do tend to be in a better mood in the long run.

Pun intended.

"Is that all Denise? Or is there some more shifting about that you want me to do?" I holler to her from the back room. Not hearing a reply back two seconds later, I frown in confusion and begrudgingly make my way down the stairs to see what she's gotten caught up in. The woman usually doesn't wait a second in handing out tasks that have to be done.

As soon as I enter onto the sales floor, my eyes widen and I give Denise a questioning look as there she stands in all her glory. Perfectly straightened glossy hair done up in a unique half up half down hairdo that I can't even dream of trying, makeup done to a precision that seems artistic and overall looking a knockout like always.

The astonishing factor, however, is what my eyes zoom in on. A particular object that belongs to me, in her hands. When her eyes flit down to what I'm looking at, she gives me a sheepish grin and places my phone back down. "Sorry about that. It's not what it looks like."

Raising an eyebrow, I cross my arms over my chest and give her a somewhat challenging look, "And what does it look like exactly?"

Should I be speaking to my employer this way? That thought in itself causes me to lower my arms and soften my stance, not wanting to look aggressive but not to submissive either. "You got a phone call and I picked it up. Here." I bite my tongue from saying anything but upon further inspection I do find an incoming call in my call log. The number unfortunately is unknown.

"It was from a man named Greg. He said he wanted to meet you and whisk you away for a little while. I of course said yes." Denice says vivaciously as she gives me a smug look, the questions on her face vividly clear. I know for a fact if I don't make it out of here within the next ten seconds I will have her glued to my side till I tell her everything there is to know. The details of which I will have to include to a precise level including facial expressions of all the people present.