Chapter Sixteen

You spend most of your time over the next week stuck in the cabin.

Herobrine and Steve worked together to hollow out a large cave for the mob army to live in, since there was sunlight that would set a fair number of them on fire. Apparently they had strict orders not to attack Steve, as whenever he stopped by the cabin he seemed to be unharmed.

You, on the other hand, are under strict orders not to step outside the tiny building, enforced by a pair of zombie pigmen that guarded the front door - more to keep enemies out than you in, though.

Manfred never returned, and you, Steve, and Herobrine seemed to be in agreement that he must have been kidnapped by Null. Since Herobrine couldn't find him, there was nothing you could do but wait.

And wait you do. For an entire week. Bored out of your mind. You consider trying to sneak out and find out what the heck is going on a couple of times, but eventually decide against it. The lectures from your two bodyguards wouldn't be worth it. At this rate, you almost wish Null would attack, just so something would happen.

Almost. You're not quite that stupid.

"We're running out of food." Steve closes a chest, turning around to look at you grimly. "If only mobs didn't have to eat, huh?"

"Regrettably, all my food storage was destroyed with the mansion, and I have no other storerooms." Herobrine leans against the wall, arms crossed over his chest. "If he's trying to starve us out, it's working."

"Can't you just kill some more livestock somewhere?" You drum your fingers on the table. "You can teleport anywhere, heck, you could just steal some player's food."

"Possibly. But I'd rather not influence the player base if I can help it."

"I think if Null takes over the world, the player base will be influenced a bit." Steve interjects. Herobrine shoots him a withering look.

"Do you know how annoying it is to be seen by a player for half a second, then have to deal with hunters for weeks and weeks?"

"Then don't be seen."

"I had not considered that. Thank you for your sage advice."

"Anyway," You break in. "Maybe Steve can go looking for food?"

"Well he can't very well visit a single player world either - just imagine the stories they'd come up with about you." Herobrine counters, glancing at his twin. "But yes, I suppose it would be more prudent for him to go looking for supplies."

"I'll try not to go too far." Steve sighs, sheathing his sword and slinging a bow over his shoulder. "You have a map I can use?"

"Only empty ones."

"Those will work fine." Herobrine passes him a blank sheet of paper, and Steve taps it, causing a small area to light up with color. "I'll be back in a couple days at the latest. Try not to get murdered while I'm gone." With that, he gives you a small wave before heading out through the door. You watch him for a couple moments through the window, retreating into the trees, before turning to your husband.

"So, um... what do you think Null's plan is?"

"Well, from what I've seen of him, I can only assume he's trying to diminish my forces as much as possible before instigating a fight." He responds, examining a rip in his sleeve. "I'm not entirely sure why, though. He is nearly, if not more, my match in a fight, and he can respawn. It would be simple enough for him to just continue fighting me until I was too weak to beat him."

"So then he... can't." You deduce, frowning at the table. "Unless he's determined to beat you in some specific way, like for honor or whatever, why would he not take the opportunity? He probably can't fight you over and over, he needs an edge."

"You're probably right." He admits. "He must not be quite as powerful as he lets on."

"One possibility is that he can't teleport like you." You suggest. "If he got you to his spawn point he might be able to battle you down, but it's probably far away, and he doesn't have time to set it during a fight."

"Possible. He moved quickly enough in our last fight that I assumed he could teleport, but that could have just been a lack of response time on my part."

"I don't know, I think I saw him... blip, y'know? But maybe he used an Ender pearl." Thinking about Ender pearls reminds you of Manfred, and you heave a sigh, resting your chin in your hand. "Hopefully we can get Manfred back."

"Hopefully." Herobrine agrees. "For now, though, we watch and wait. With any luck, Null won't attack before Steve comes back."