Silveny

"So you're telling me," Biana flopped back on Sophie's bed. "THE ALICORN GETS TO REMEMBER AND I DON'T?"

Sophie frowned at her friends frustrations. "Yeah, I don't get it either."

Biana had came over to help sophie deal with the Heks when they showed up to "take" Silveny.

"Who goes there?" A squeaky voice demanded outside. It was soon followed by Grady asking what was going on.

"That's our cue." Sophie jumped off her bed and down the stairs. Biana was delayed but soon joined.

"Vika? Timkin? Is that you?"

One of the figures tossed her hood back, sweeping her wavy brown hair out of her eyes. "Who else would it be?"

"Stina," Sophie grumbled, glaring at the girl who went out of her way to make her life miserable at school. "What are you doing here?"

Stina tugged on Silveny's harness. "We're here to collect the alicorn so it can be properly rehabilitated."

"That's awkward," Sophie sighed, Silveny tugged out of Stina's grip. Unfortunately the other Heks still had the reins. "I'm afraid she won't listen to you."

"I wasn't aware that had been decided," Grady said, tightening his grip on Sophie's shoulder as she tried to step forward.

"Please, you didn't think they'd have you rehabilitate the alicorn, did you?" Timkin asked as he jerked Silveny's reins toward him. "A noble creature deserves a noble trainer."

"Since when are you nobility?" Biana spoke up. "Did you suddenly trigger a talent? Unfortunately being an asshole isn't an ability."

"Last I heard, your wife was the only one appointed to the nobility," Grady corrected. "And only as a Regent, not an Emissary."

"Give it time," Timkin growled, yanking Silveny's reins so hard he wrenched the frightened horse's neck.

"You're hurting her!" Sophie exclaimed trying to make a run for the alicorn but Stina stopped her.

"We're doing nothing of the sort," Vika snapped back

"I can feel her pain," Sophie insisted.

Stina laughed her high, wheezy snicker. "Last I checked, empathy wasn't an ability your creators gave you."

"Last I checked, you hadn't manifested any abilities at all," Sophie spit through gritted teeth. "I don't need empathy. I can feel her emotions with my mind."

Timkin snorted. "That's impossible."

"If it were coming from anyone else, I'd agree with you," a voice with an unmistakably crisp accent announced. "But you're forgetting how remarkable Sophie is."

Sophie didn't have to turn around to know Alden, Keefe and Fitz had just arrived.

Someone put their arm around her neck. "Yeah, Foster's always doing crazy things no one can understand. It's how she keeps her sense of mystery."

"Lord Alden," Timkin said, lowering his hood and shaking his black hair as he dipped an exaggerated bow. "An honor, as always."

"No need for ceremony, Timkin." Alden turned to Grady. "I'm sorry to be late. I'd hoped to get here before the Hekses arrived. But Fitz and Keefe insisted on seeing the long-lost alicorn, and someone needed time to fix their hair."

"Hey, a guy's gotta look his best for the ladies." Keefe patted the back of his head. "Right, Foster?"

Sophie suppressed a smile and rolled her eyes. Now was not the time for Keefe's comments. She turned to Alden. "You can't let them take her."

"He doesn't answer to you," Stina announced. "He answers to the Council, and I'm sure they've told him to give her to us."

"Plans can be changed, considering that you can't even get Silveny to listen to you." Sophie retorted.

"That was their plan," Alden admitted. "The Heks family has had tremendous success rehabilitating unicorns using their empathic abilities, and it was Vika's grandmother who rehabilitated the alicorn in the Sanctuary. So it seems only logical to let them prepare Silveny."

"But she hates them!"

Silveny whinnied, like she agreed.

"Can you really feel what she's feeling?" Alden asked.

"Yes. Right now she's scared and angry and wants to get away from them."

"She's making that up." Vika dragged Silveny close enough to put her hand on her shimmery neck. "I feel nothing of the sort—and I actually am an Empath."

"Are you joking?" Sophie said, louder than intended. "I can visibility SEE Silveny's fear and you think you need to check her emotions?"

Silveny took the opportunity to knock the Heks to the floor. Unfortunately, Stina still had a good hold and was being dragged through the mud. Sophie dashed in the cage and unclipped the alicorn as fast as she could.

Silveny took flight for a few seconds before diving back down in front of Sophie, bent close to the ground.

Fly?

Fly. Sophie transmitted and without hesitation climbed onto her back. The alicorn spread her wings and took off.

"I CANT BELIEVE YOU." Stina screeched at Sophie.

"Cant believe what? That Silveny likes me more than you?" Sophie called back, taunting.

"WE are suppose to rehabilitate the alicorn not YOU." Vika reminded her.

"Doesn't Silveny get any say?" Sophie asked him.

"Of course she doesn't!" Timkin shouted. "Animals live where we tell them to live. They're not intelligent creatures."

"Oh no he didn't!" Keefe exclaimed.

"Surely I must have misheard you, Timkin," Alden said quietly. "None of us would ever imply a lack of respect for a living being. Especially someone with noble aspirations."

"We rehabilitated the other alicorn," Vika argued.

"Not you, personally. And that was before we had Sophie," Alden reminded her. "Her unique abilities make her better equipped."

"You can't be serious—"

"I am, I'm afraid. The Council wants Silveny to receive the best care, and since Sophie has a means of communicating with her far beyond your capabilities, Havenfield is the better choice."

Vika's eyes narrowed. "You can bet the Council will be hearing about this."

"Of course they will. I'll be sending them a full report as soon as I get home. That's part of my job as an Emissary. As is rendering final decisions in matters such as this."

"Unbelievable," Timkin muttered, pulling out his pathfinder. "Trusting that freak of a child. No wonder I'm hearing whispers of the Council's incompetence."

The Heks leaped away before anyone could respond. Silveny gently landed, allowing Sophie to slide off her side. Everyone just watched in awe.

"He wants to be nobility and he talks like that?" Biana wondered out loud.

"The only freak of a child here is his daughter." Keefe chimed in, receiving looks that disapproved of the bold statement, but didn't necessarily disagree.

"It's what makes me a freak that gives me an advantage over her." Sophie said softly.

"Alden and I have a lot to talk about," Grady said while moving towards the alicorns enclosure. "Feel free to make yourself at home."

The group unanimously thanked him and started towards the house.

"Oh, Sophie," Grady continued. "No sleepovers."

"Why not?" Keefe winked, earning himself a glare.

"Sophie has an early morning. We're visiting Brant."