Chapter 53

Lyolis assumed they'd be alone, riding into Sundown City, just her, Zoar, their mounts, and the wind

Lyolis assumed they'd be alone, riding into Sundown City, just her, Zoar, their mounts, and the wind. Free at last from their duties. And free from the confinement of the estates, but she was sadly mistaken. Zoar's fear for Mitch wouldn't leave that simply.

They decided not to take the carriage, instead riding  down the hill, winding like a snake, on the barebacks of their horses. The pioneers used their saddles and stirrups to keep them upright, while the Cyoakian used their legs and back; one had to have strong legs and a sturdy back to ride this way, and only Cyoakians had mastered it. Since young, Lyolis remembered being pulled up and down the mountain on a donkey, at first, only until she was strong and tall enough to mount a proper pony.

Lyolis rode close to Zoar while the two large, tan men, mounted on blacks, with builds thick as boulders and hair like black serpents, rode behind them. Their eyes ever watchful. Armed with tomahawks and bows while wearing their most protective, blunt faces. 

Though she knew the answer Lyolis asked, "Why must we have company? The mounts and the night will protect us." She spoke lightly, not wanting to ruin the night.

"Droom and Brylax will keep their distance … You know they look to you like you are their own blood." He smiled. "And my mind will be at ease with them by your side."

"I have you by my side … the general of the Cyoakian armies. Are you not enough?" She joked. 

Zoar sat tall, looking off towards the shadows that cloaked the road. "If only I were..." He mumbled. "That's why we need each other if we are to survive." He stroked his brown and white spotted mount. One he'd ridden into battle and had since he could ride. His closest friend, he once told her. "Though I've thought many a times of taken Moliek and riding off to a land far from eyes and distant from tales."

Lyolis tilted left, slightly kicking the horse, guiding her around the next bend. "And why have you stayed?"

Zoar sooke soft, "for you..."

Lyolis smiled warmly. Out of all the things he could've said, these were the words she expected least. And they brought beauty into her heart and love into her soul. A man willing to confess his love, and would die to protect his partner was a rare wonder, she knew. How have I grown so lucky? A thought she often wondered.

"Why do you mock me?" Lyolis teased. "You know I do not take kindly to flattery."

"Though your cheeks say otherwise." Zoar pointed out. "They blossomed like roses." 

Lyolis giggled, kicking her horse into a light sprint. One she could manage around the turns without giving too much guidance and effort. Zoar pursued as she hoped he would, along with the two boulder-sized men, which she had prayed they wouldn't. 

"Why must you ride so fast?" He asked. "You're not even sure of our destination." 

Lyolis yelled above the wind, "our destination is the path we make for ourselves … we must carve our own, and not be bound by gates and borders."