Part 12

Brackenpaw's words made Aspenpaw freeze, his voice dropping to barely above a whisper. "What?" He hissed, his blue-green eyes wide and filled with apprehension. "Why would she betray her Clan?" He asked, looking at his brother in the eyes, who met his gaze shakily.

       "I don't know," Brackenpaw admitted sheepishly, shuffling his paws. "She wouldn't answer any of the questions Cloudstar was asking her when I left, claiming she wanted to speak to the surviving witness she saw at the Gathering, meaning you."

       Knowing this triggered a change in Aspenpaw. He wanted answers, and if this apprentice could give them to him, he'd play nice long enough to get them from her, and then go make Snowskip pay. 

       Pulling himself out of his thoughts, he nodded, standing. "Let's go, then." He said, his voice steady and quiet. "We wouldn't want to keep her waiting." Without allowing his brother to answer, Aspenpaw picked up his rabbit and padded briskly past his littermate, a determined fire in his eyes, the temptation of finally getting answers the only thing getting his paws to move.

~~~~~~~~~~

       When Aspenpaw entered the camp, he easily saw the she-cat sitting in the center of the clearing, the throng of cats gathered around her parting like fur in the wind to allow the apprentice to approach the newcomer, his gaze searching hers for hostility, and was relieved when he found none. 

       "Are you the survivor?" She asked him, her mew hushed and urgent, her eyes trained on the young tom's face; when he nodded, she jerked her head to a secluded spot in camp, and he padded over there with her, sitting down when she did.

       "My brother told me you had information about Rosestar's plan that got my father killed." Aspenpaw got straight to the point, looking at the she-cat as she wrapped her tail around her paws. Her dark tabby pelt looked like a dappled piece of amber in the partial sunshine, and the strange beauty surrounding the young cat made her look intimidating. 

       "First, my name is Bramblepaw." She said, introducing herself quickly. "And yes, I do have information, but it's a lot to take in."

       "Hit me," Aspenpaw replied bluntly. "I've seen things in the last four moons that would have broken the bravest warrior; I'm sure I can take what you have to tell me."

       Bramblepaw took a breath, a glint of admiration flashing momentarily in her gaze, then she spoke, her voice quiet and brisk.

       "Rosestar has always been a bit paranoid, and she'd ordered Snowskip to stake out in ShadowClan territory and find out the workings of Cloverstar because there were claims that ShadowClan had been hunting on our territory. At least, that's what she had the Clan believe. Keep in mind that this is a cat who strives for warrior purity and demands loyalty, and she killed to get where she is now, so she isn't above assassination.

       "She hadn't bargained on anyone other than Cloverstar dying, and Snowskip was told to kill any warriors that were with Cloverstar in case any of them were the deputy so that Snowskip could take place as leader, and allow ThunderClan the access to ShadowClan's territory."

       "Hold on." Aspenpaw interrupted her. "You're trying to tell me that Rosestar is trying to take over the forest?" He asked, his voice filled with horror and disgust. "Does she not know what happened when Brokenstar tried that??"

       Bramblepaw nodded solemnly, her tawny eyes filled with pain. "She knows of what Brokenstar tried doing, and thinks he was on the right track. She thinks the forest would be more at peace if we were all one, and if every cat was subject to her rule. She's hungry for power and will kill anyone who opposes her. Very few are lucky to escape." The apprentice looked worried. "If she or any of her inner circle of elite warriors found out I was here, I'd be killed, or wounded within an inch of my life and chased out, left to die." Her gaze filled with urgency. "You need to warn Cloudstar and make sure the other Clans find out. Please."