Dragon Slayer

From the my tiny window in the tower I see them prepare for my death in courtyard.  In the one corner is a raised platform with a noose and rope hanging and about fifty people  gathered around waiting baying for my blood.

I look away and as nerves grip my stomach I retch into the chamberpot. Nothing but green bile. Fear. That makes me smile as I raise my head. I, the dragon slayer am  fearful of death.

I should have killed him when I had the chance. It was simple. Very simple. Just an arrow from my bow would have completed the job but I failed. Now I must pay the price.

There is a sharp tap at the my cell door and it opens. Two hooded executors come in.

'Pity about the sentence, he should have fed you the soldiers,' leers one with blackened teeth.

I shiver and gaze round the tiny cell that has held me prisoner for the past three days. My eyes rest on a the hay bed.

'Do you want to come or do you want to be dragged,' said the same hooded man with blacken teeth.

'I have done nothing wrong,' I snap at him surprised my voice was strong and proud. 'I am  Theana, the Dragon Slayer.'

'Aye, love, and you soon join all dragons you're slayed,' he sniggers then laughs.

I walk out the cell, down the dark steep slippery stairs till I'm in the courtyard.

The sun beams like a hard blade and I am blind for a moment.

Then there was a hush and a bell sounded. It is time.