Live to Shift

Chapter 1 - Adjustment

I laid there in the field looking into the sky, it was so quiet. No one to disturb me or tell me what to do. I was better here in the country, I got moved out here after I became an orphan. That's right, I was an orphan so what? I was never going to cry about it, my parents didn't like me either, so it didn't matter to me when they died.

My mom worked all day and all night, and not a typical job you'd think a mother would have. She was a prostitute, and damn I hated it when she brought men home. Just the noises they made wanted me to throw up.

Don't even get me started on my dad, he was an alcoholic, and unlike my mother who actually was home doing her 'job' he stayed out all day with his friends and got drunk. They died in a fire, I was at school and I returned home there were police waiting to pick me up, and explain the situation to me.

Boy, were they surprised when I laughed. I couldn't help it, that day was the day my life actually started, I knew I would be moved to home where people would give a shit about me.

Let's move on though, this was getting to be too much like a sad movie. I was about to drift off to sleep right there in the fields, when I heard a calming voice yell out "Dan! It's time to get to bed!". It was my foster mother. I called her Sarah for now, I was wasn't to used to calling her mom yet but I was definitely warming up to it. I ran over to the house, where she then decided to ruffle my hair, as I rushed past her and through the door.

My hair was short and cropped into a slight faux hawk. My hair got messed up, but I liked when she did that. Don't ask me why. I ran to my room, and quickly got changed while noting how my looks changed so much after 5 years.

I was now a bit more muscular than before, doing the heavy chores paid off. Of course all my work was outside and it gave me tan, took a while to get used to it though. I was a city kid after all.

I got into my bed and fell asleep before my head even hit the pillow. That night I dreamt about something really weird. A man dressed in a white cloak whispered to me "Transform, and become my aid" over and over. Each time taking a few steps closer to me. Before a word could leave my mouth, I woke up. I admit it, I was scared, "not my regular dreams about pink ponies" I thought sarcastically to myself.

"Uggh" I moaned while groggily looking for my alarm clock. As soon as I reached it, I smacked the snooze button and threw it across my room. I brought up enough strength to get myself outta bed. Got ready, threw some clothes on and quickly ran downstairs.

"What's for breakfast Stan?" Stan was my foster dad, and I didn't want to call him Dad quite yet either. "Good morning to you too" he chuckled."Sorry.. you know I'm always hungry...good morning!" I said in a cheery tone. I smelt pancakes, my stomach grumbled at the smell, I swear I ate more than I weighed.

Right after I finished chowing down on my breakfast, I turned on my phone to check my texts. I read one from my friend Emily 'Hey Dan! We haven't hung out in a while, I'll be passing your house around 10, meet me outside if you wanna go for a walk or something'.

I turned my head to quickly check the clock, it read 9:58. "Damn, I gotta get ready!" I muttered to myself. I haven't seen Emily in so long, I wanted to look good. Emily was my first friend when I got here, she had black straight hair, and almost my height. Her most noticeable feature was her eyes, they were a deep black, and sharp, it was hard to look into her eyes without getting a slight creepy feeling.

After making sure I looked decent, I ran out the door.

"Hey stupid! Where've you been?!" Emily shouted from the end of my long driveway.

I ran up to her before I said anything, and gave her the biggest bear hug!

"Around" I said with asmileafter signaling her to start our trek to the park.

We finally got to the park after a few minutes of walking and decided to sit down in the grassy area. " So anything cool happen lately?" she asked. "Nothing really, just some wierd dreams" I thought about the dream that I had last night, and the man in the white cloak. "Oh really? Tell me about it" she ask curiously.

I didn't feel like explaining something so scary to her, but it was Emily, I could talk to her about anything. I told her entirely about my dream, and she didn't look at me like I was crazy like I thought she would.

"You're like me then!" she exclaimed.

I had no idea what she meant, the next think I know she pulled me off my butt, and ran towards the woods connected to the park, with her hand still holding mines.

"What're we doing here?" I asked.

"You'll see!" she said with a smile.

END of Chapter 1

AN: So what do you think of my first chapter? Leave reviews and stuff that you think needs improving in the comments. I'll start to move deeper into the plot of shape shifting in the plot of the next chapter very soon. Maybe even tomorrow if I have time :)

Also, changes will be made to each chapter if need. things like adding details.