Chapter 17. Jenna's Return.

Desperation can make a person do surprising things ~ Veronica Roth

Chapter 17.

Jenna's Return.

It was crowded in the saloon, as it usually was every night. The beautiful redhead sat alone in the corner. If she wanted, she could move out into the light and the attention of every man would be on her, but Jenna didn't move. She didn't want the attention of every man.

"God alone knows I've had enough of it in the twenty two years I've had to walk this dumb earth," she mumbled to herself as she took another shot of whiskey.

"Trying to drink yer sins away, Jenna Callaway. And I know they are many."

The beauty took a deep breath. What was he doing here again? She moved her eyes to glance upward, but kept the rest of her face hidden.

"Washington Goodwill." The words were spit out like poison. "I've already told you, no!"

"Come now, Jenna, you can't tell me you're not running low on funds? How are you going to pay for all that whiskey if you don't get a customer or two?"

"I'm...I'm...I'm not in that business anymore!" Jenna snapped, fire burning in her piercing green eyes.

"Once a whore, always a whore," Washington laughed and sat down beside her. Jenna found no humor in his sentence and her gaze darkened.

"What do you want from me? Another accusation that I've been pawnin' or sellin' something?"

"Not this time, my pretty little fire flower." Washington looked on her with admiration that she despised. He relaxed and leaned back in his chair, looking Jenna up and down. "What exactly is between you and the Carthwrite boy? The one locked up in jail. The married one," he added as after thought, a mocking gleam appearing in his eyes and a smirk spreading on his handsome face. Despite herself, Jenna felt the heat rush to her cheeks.

"What do you mean?" She demanded hotly. How dare he speak like that. About her, about Seth and to bring his marriage to Abbie Mae in as well.

"I think you know what I mean, Jenna ol' gal," Washington let out another laugh. "I've seen you there with him, remember when I came to visit the place with my father. And then we met the wife and she pretty much told out without saying anything that you were his mistress and my father gave Seth Carthwrite a pretty good tongue lashin'. You seem to have been pretty faithful to him up until just recently. He must be someone pretty important to you to have you going back to him in that wretched jail all the time. How did he pay you? Where did he get the money from?"

Jenna's face was now a bright shade of red. "He...I...it's not like that. Seth was never a...well...a client." She whispered the word, as though ashamed of it.

"Not a client then," Washington echoed. He pondered for a moment then let out another loud laugh. It caused several heads to turn in their direction. "Do you mean to tell me," Washington leaned forward, not caring that he was attracting attention to himself. "That you, Jenna Callaway, the girl with no heart, fell in love with that good for nothing, stupid little farmer's boy. He's got neither purse nor brains to offer. Well, I suppose there are his looks, he's not such a bad chap, but still, that's pretty much it."

The fact that he could sit there and say such insults about Seth was almost more than Jenna could handle. Her face, ears and neck burned with fury. Her fists clenched so tightly that white appeared around the knuckles.

"Don't speak of him like that!" She snapped in a whisper. Unlike Washington Jenna was determined not to have anyone looking at her and her highly hated companion. "What do you know of him? What do you know of any of us common, poor folk? You rich people sit there in yer fine houses, ownin' yer plantations and livin' in luxury. What do you know of poverty, of want, of hunger and cold? What do you know of the desperate desire to stay alive while all along wishing for death to end your misery? Seth is more of a man than you will ever be. He never saw a whore in me, he saw a lady worthy of respect and kindness. When you all just used me and tossed me aside, he was gentle and considerate. Of course I fell in love with him, the only man who has not seen me as an object for his pleasure. The only man who was interested in pasts, in my hurt, and wanted to help provide for my future. He's got more honor than you could ever hope for!"