Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

[4] The Soldier and the Girl

The door opened in the early morning. The rusted bell barely jingled, the sound lost under the thump of heavy boots.

Erika yawned. She didn't bother to look up from her ledger, muttering an absent, "Not open yet," between soft exhales of numbers.

"I do not wish to buy."

The words were slow and curled in a strange dialect, denoting the visitor an outsider. Elsendorf didn't have any of those. Erika looked up from her notes, curious. The sight of a tall, burly man had her gaze sharpening to a suspicious glare. The heavy winter coat the stranger wore did little to hide the pristine white of his uniform. The long, broad sword strapped to his back was certainly hard to miss.

"May I help you, sir?" Erika tried to keep her tone even and polite. Apprehension snuck in nonetheless.

The man lumbered forward. The closer he came, the bigger he seemed, until he became a small mountain of muscle and scarred flesh towering over Erika's desk. "My name is Victor Fair. I would have a word, on behalf of Her Majesty."

Erika was well aware whom this man served. Even had she not recognized the significance of the man's uniform, the golden griffin pinned to his chest left no space for doubt. "I'd be honored to help in any way that I can," she said.

Fair didn't acknowledge her words. Compliance with a soldier of the Amith Capil was a given. "There is a man living in the mountain. Valeri Beaufort. Do you know of him?"

"I do not," Erika lied.

Sir Fair's eyes were a cool, sharp blue. "People say you do."

Erika fought not to drop her eyes. "People say a lot of things. Doesn't mean they are true."

"They say he buys from you."

"Not often," Erika conceded, thinking every word through, "Barely worth mentioning."

"What does he buy?" Fair pressed.

"Paper, ink. Expensive wine. Foodstuffs," Erika tagged on. Words bubbled up her throat. She swallowed them down, refusing to give in and blabber out of nerves.

Fair's eyes trailed over her, lingering on her exposed wrists, the naked slope of her neck. "Is that all he buys?"

Erika flushed. "How dare you." Fear and anger left her shaking. "Leave," she hissed, "Leave this instant!"

Fair inclined his head, unperturbed. "Very well. I will come back later." He retreated, gait steady. The door jingled as it opened, then thudded closed.

"Arrogant piece of army shit!" Erika roared after him. She slammed her hand against the counter, sending the ledger tumbling over with a sad rattle.

Some steps away, a curly head peeked in through the double doors leading inside the house. "What happened?"

Erika blew out an exasperated breath. "Nothing, Dimitri. Go back to work." She flapped a hand in the man's direction, her body stiff with agitation

Dimitri emerged fully, steps almost bouncing with curiosity. "What's up, boss? Who was the big guy?"

Erika flopped back in her chair, resigned to a conversation she was in no mood to have. She waved the man over.

Dimitri perched on the counter, his smile gone. "Seriously, do I need to kick his ass?"

Erika let out a surprised chuckle, eyebrows rising in incredulity. Dimitri narrowed his eyes. The resulting expression was reminiscent of an annoyed puppy, and in no way diminished Erika's mirth.

"Hey! I'm stronger than I look!" Dimitri puffed out his chest.

Erika chortled, short for breath. The man was shorter than her, and slighter to boot. He'd be a twig next to the soldier's bulk.