Chapter Two ~ Unknown Reasons (Cailin)

Hayden was walking over here. The reason why was unknown to me, and it was beginning to feel like a joke to me because they football players hate me. Or was that just me? I wasn't sure but as I was internally freaking out, him and Ethan were getting closer.

"Hey, I didn't know we were in the same class." Ethan stated as if this was a casual conversation, "Glad we have a normal girl in our class."

I just kind of looked at him oddly, as I was lost for words. Then as I was about to say something like "Oh, just a sec, I forgot my heart rate monitor", (which I already had on but even my small chest made it invisible to see) when the rest of the girls came out of the change room.

The boys got surrounded with girls, and put on what I thought was pleased faces until they glanced over where I was quickly and looked almost sad that I didn't stick around or get to talk to them. However it didn't bother me. It bothered me that they were probably going to bully me and play tricks to get me to tell some of my darkest, saddest feelings and problems and make fun of it and tell the entire student body like they plastered the story of my life on the wall.

The teacher came in not long after the bell, and made us do five laps, fifteen burpees, twenty sit ups, and ten jumping jacks. I'd never found the warm ups enjoyable unless it was a game like partner tag, or buffalo run even, but I did enjoy learning sports and excelling every year with them. This class was the class I forgot all my problems in.

Today, since it was the first day, we got to play swampball. I was really good at whipping balls at people, and hit about half of the people more than once. I was on the matt, somebody went to catch the coloured foam ball, and ended up catching it as they fell on top of me.

The person was definitely a male football player, and he was up as quick as the Flash, apologizing. Then I realized it was Ethan.

"I'm sorry," he went on, "are you alright?"

I nodded, then jumped up to catch the dodgeball.

Apparently Ethan was tagging along after I assured him, and came to our side, which despite my bragging, we started absolutely dominating the opposing team. "We work really well together!" Ethan said.

"Yeah, I guess." I said blatantly. I really was more focused on catching Ryder's ball and rubbing it in his face that he wasn't the best without actually doing so.

I felt a ball hit my butt, then I turned around to see it was Hayden, and I walked back to our matt extremely displeased. I would so get him back for that.

Hayden wasn't long to come back to his side, and he walked up beside our matt. "Sorry, I had to choose somebody who wasn't paying attention."

"I must say you're a decent shot on your knees. Clearly your hand-eye coordination is skilled." I replied plainly.

"I can only hit things I look at." Hayden winked, and laughed at my most likely bewildered expression.

"Her ass looks like cottage cheese Hayden." Some girl in my class sneered.

Hayden looked at her, rolling his eyes in disgust at her remark.

Class ended, I was the first out of the changeroom, even after I showered and the others didn't, and I was also the first to biology class. Mr. Hegreth was putting our outlines on the desks. He was a nice teacher, but he never initiated conversation unless during his lessons or he was spoken to.

I was situated on the far side of the room where I was less likely to be noticed. Or so I believed I was less noticed. A wet haired Hayden came a sat beside me with a huge grin plastered on his godly face. I didn't notice I was gawking until he waved a hand in front of my face.

"Are you okay?" Hayden asked in a concerned tone.

I turned away, letting my roan coloured hair fall in front of my face as my cheeks went a bright red. "Yeah, I am fine."

Pretending to be interested in my binder, I unzipped it and put the outline in the two inch rings. As I was attempted to close the rings slowly, perfectly, my try failed me epically. I ended up catching my finger in between the evil metal rings that held the papers of death.

"That was so graceful." Ethan commented sarcastically from in front of me.

I glanced up quickly and saw he situated himself in front of Hayden and I who were in the back. I didn't think he was seated with somebody until Ryder came and sat next to him.

Is the world intentionally trying to screw me over?

"You sure know how to pick seats!" Ryder enthused as he winked at me.

I will tell you now; I have never had the urge to vomit from both nervousness and disgust so badly in my entire life. I just was refusing to grace him with a response that would provoke him more. He didn't deserve a response.

I shook my head, and picked out my favourite black pen. I felt like doodling and ignoring the boys who seem to want to pester me constantly. Looseleaf was all I had, so I started to draw diamonds across the top of the page, then dots where the diamonds didn't connect. Soon I drew lines that were close, almost like they were framing the diamonds and dots. After that, I started to make triangles when the teacher walked in. I didn't hear what he said, just disregarding what he was preaching.

That was until he was standing in front of my desk. He said my name in a disapproving tone, and I shrieked whilst I jumped. He nearly gave me a heart attack.

The guys surrounding me just belted out laughing at my horrendous reaction. My cheeks turned crimson, and the room full of thirty-two students other than myself were looking at me wondering what happened other than the three laughing football stars.

Other than the start of biology, class went by. Lunch, however, was just torturous. The boys wanted me to sit downstairs with them; Ryder even invited me along. When I had refused, they sat upstairs at my locker with me. It was sweet in a way, but I was also extremely cautious as to not embarrass myself, or give them reason to poke fun at me.

"You're so quiet!" Ryder exclaimed as they were laughing at some video on Vine. I never really paid attention, but apparently Vine was an app to watch videos that were short. It sounded boring to me because YouTube was just so much better. "You should see this! Finally Rene got what she deserved!"

"Oh?" I looked over his slouched shoulder to see Tiffany freaking out and hitting her one clone - whose name I didn't care for - with a piece of wood. After it was over, I wasn't laughing like the guys. Instead, I was just dumbfounded. "She is positively low. Remind me to never take Industrial Arts with her."

"It's cool," Hayden said in a cocky tone. "You have guy friends that could kick ass without an issue."

"You're not supposed to hit girls, though." I reasoned. "That would be bad if you did."

"Honey, we never said we would hit her. It was just a generalization." Ethan said in a matter-of-factly tone. "Anybody who messes with us is no good."

"Wouldn't coach have us booted?" Ryder questioned.

"Oh probably," Hayden replied laughing a little. "Speaking of football, did you want to run the water and do other jobs? We really need somebody to help."

"Uh, sure, I guess I could." I replied unsure. "I am on the cross country team though. It might collide."

"We practice in the mornings before school from six to eight-thirty. You'd be washing towels then, giving water and ordering breakfast, but you'd also be at games and such. Games are rarely interfering with running." Ethan informed me. He nudged my left side, and said,"You'd be considered part of the team!"

"Sure, if my little sister could help...?"

"Done deal." Ryder answered. "I'll tell coach."

With that he up and left, walking with a swing in his step. And the other two stood up, both offering a hand down to me to get up. I grabbed both of their hands and they both lifted me up like a feather before I was able to do it myself. I noticed that Ethan gave Hayden a disapproving look.

I made a mental note not to forget and possibly ask about that. Why would he do that?