Here's My Heart, Don't Break It

Start from the beginning

"Oh, I see ... it seems like you might be able to find a better living situation."

"Yes, most likely, but my dad used to run this store ... and I was able to buy the building. It has sentimental value," she replied softly.

Ethan opened his mouth, but decided it was best not to ask about her father.

They were finished walking up a flight of stairs, and she was now unlocking another door, which as Ethan soon saw, led into a bright, airy and finished, apartment.

"Whoa..." he muttered, looking around.

"Do you like it? I did it all myself!"

He loved it! The brick walls were bare, except a few abstract paintings, the kitchen was a shiny chrome, and the living room was decorated with that, he couldn't think of the word, vintage look?

"When do I get to see the bedroom?" he asked, chuckling, he didn't even know her name, and he felt comfortable with her.

"I don't usually let strangers into my house, much less my bedroom," she said with a small smile perched on her lips.

"I'm Ethan," he said, leaning against the kitchen counter as she placed a few things into the refrigerator.

"Lila," she replied, looking up at him with cloudy green eyes.

"So ... how come I've never seen you before? I sit outside quite often," he asked curiously.

"Until recently, today actually, I didn't come home until very late," she said, a frown replacing her smile.

"Boyfriend?" he pried.

She laughed, "I honestly wish, no, I quit my job today."

"That seems wise," he replied sarcastically.

"No, it was, my boss was, well, he always seemed to give me an extra work load. Honestly, I could deal with that, but he liked to make passes at his female employees. Enough is enough, you know?"

"Well that blows ... but so does not having a job," he said sympathetically. "I'm sure I could hook ya up ... if you want."

"Yeah, maybe," she said, nodding, and genuinely thinking about it.

    Two weeks later Lila and Ethan had been on two dates, and they had gone extrememly well for both parties. Ethan had fallen in love with her senstive and deep personality and Lila, with his honesty. Lila felt on top of the world, lucky to have Ethan and to have a job she actually enjoyed. When Ethan said he could her hook her up, she figured she'd be working at some McDonalds, but in fact she was working with his mother in an uptown bakery! She had always loved baking, and now she got to work around it.

"Do you like my son, Lila?" Nancy, Ethan's mother, asked.

Lila finished filling a tray with fresh muffins and looked over at her. "Yes, I really do," she replied.

"Good, I do know how much he cares for you. I just want to make sure you feel the same before he gives you more than a few dates," she said matter-of-factly.

"I'm ready for more ..." Lila trailed off, because she really was ready, but it had only been two months since she'd gotten out of a bad relationship, one that had really broken her heart.

    The apartment was dimly lit, candles filtered through every room. He thought it seemed romantic, after all, its what everyone did in the movies, but he was confused on how this wasn't a fire hazard. He placed the takeout Chinese containers on the small table, chopsticks placed next to the plates. He laughed at his own lack of talent. Ethan looked up at the door as he heard the jiggling of a key and the creak as the door opened.

"Hey," he said, overly imiatating sexy.

"Hi ..." Lila replied, speechless. "Did you break into my apartment?"

"Uh ... what can I say, I learned a few tricks in school."

"Criminal," she said, laughing.

"But I'm your criminal," he winked.

"This is nice ... but Ethan, I'm not gunna marry you, no matter how hard you beg," she joked.

"Oh please, when I propose, I'll get the Chinese from the Upper East side!"

Lila sat down on a dining chair, her blonde hair was falling out of the bun and flour stuck to her cheeks, but she forgot all that when she saw Ethan's efforts.

"I do have a question though," Ethan said, sitting down opposite of her.

She looked up when she heard his serious tone.

"Its not huge ... but ... I mean, I like you, and I hope you like me and ... do you wanna be officially my girlfriend?" he asked, giving her a smile, his gold eyes twinkled at her, they shined especially in the glowing light.

She sighed, looking down at her plate, "I want to ... I do like you, Ethan, but you know that I got out of a bad relationship. I don't want to be hurt again, I don't want my heart smashed," she said, seriously.

"I know," he said softly, "maybe we won't work out, Lila, I don't know, but I know that I won't hurt you. How could I?"

"Ethan ..." she paused, "please don't break my heart,"

"I won't," he said, getting out of the chair and walking towards her. He leaned down and looked into her eyes, "if I have your heart, I won't break it." Ethan kissed her, her lips were soft, his were chapped. His tongue trailed her lips, wanting in, she tried not to grin like a cat.

"Here is my heart, take good care of it," she whispered, allowing the kiss to deepen, allowing his hands to touch her, and allowing her thoughts to melt away to only love.