Chapter Fifty-Seven: Black Death

Forever following your flight,

The history you thought was done

Will always circle back to bite.

The past can never be outrun.

Jay did not look able to move

Jay did not look able to move. The bowstrings creaked tighter.

"Come forwards," repeated the bowcreature.

"Weakling," said a new Coppertail, entering the hall. "Just shoot the kids."

"No, wait," said another. He was tall—taller than Rose—but he had a Flatlander's build. He stepped in front of his two companions. "Bluejay. Black Death. You remember me."

It was not a question. Rose curled her tail around a group of Lowland creatures and drew them slowly into the tunnel with her. All eyes were on the three new Coppertails and the frozen Raindai.

"Lie down, Bluejay," said the tall male.

Jay sank to the ground. Rose made sure the Lowland creatures were out of sight, then looped her tail around more.

"Don't move," said the last Coppertail of the trio, glaring at her. She was a Northlander, smoke grey and prickling with threat. Rose stopped moving.

Something shot from the shadows; in a heartbeat every bowcreature was mown flat. Creatures charged from the hall.

"Go, go!" shouted Rose.

Ash leaped between the grey Northlander and the children; she pounced on him and something snapped. Beech was right behind him. The first new Flatlander floored him beside his bondmate, lifeless. Rose was flung to the ground. She saw teeth, then didn't; the grey Northlander leaped off her and whirled, screaming, "Don't shoot!"

Something flashed in front of Jay. There was a thunk, then the snap of the bowcreature's neck. The tall male dropped the body.

Wing dragged the arrow from his shoulder and snapped it.

"That one stays alive," said the tall male. "Lady Winter will not appreciate it if we cost her assassin another bondmate."

"Jay, talk to me," said Wing without turning around. Jay did not move.

"He understands who he obeys," said the tall male. "Bluejay, come."

Jay stumbled to his feet. He walked around Wing and faltered.

"Come," said the tall male again. "Your cooperation will determine how that one comes out of this. I can always do to him what I did to your 'Bracken'."

"Jay," said Wing.

His head still lowered, Jay started walking again. Wing lifted his gaze. The next heartbeat he was on the tall male in a wild, screeching attack. Jay gasped and staggered back. Fear flashed raw in his eyes and he scrambled away as the blue-spotted Flatlander approached him instead.