2. left without a choice

In the middle of me reading my highly anticipated fiction, the doors outside of the dormitory flung open and a group of boys entered loudly. I peered over, slightly agitated that my reading was interrupted, but paused my incoming wrath when I realized they were the boys that were playing football out in the courtyard earlier. They were laughing over one of the guy's fumbles and another's misstep and resulting trip, or something like that. One of the boys glanced my way with a smile. He turned around to his buddies, those light eyes of his beaming.

"Where are you going, Jack?"

"Don't wait on me, I'll catch up with you guys later."

'Hushed' whispers echoed the first floor, their incessant teasing fading as they walked upstairs. Jack, however, walked over to me. I smiled softly at him.

"Hi Sean." I closed my book, making sure the glance at the page number before hand. I sat it down next to my backpack. He plopped down next to me on the couch, his smile suddenly turning serious.

"Hi, how are you doing?"

My eyes connected with his beautifully sky blue irises. They shined with concern. I shifted uncomfortably in my spot, pulling my hoodie a little further over my face as I sunk into the furniture.

"... I could be better, but I'll be alright."

Sean shook his head and pulled my hoodie off of my face. I whined, trying to pull it back down, "Hey, that's just rude. Let me pout and be in my misery."

He playfully smirked, tugging on the fabric like a child, "I know you don't want to go outside, but your face needs to see some kind of light. Keeping yourself in the dark doesn't help anything." Jack pulled more, but I held my position.

"Noo!" I pouted, "You can't make me!"

"You're so stubborn." He started to tickle my sides, making my defenses crumble immediately.

"No, stop that!" I yelled, trying to suppress my laughter. I squirmed and, thankfully, he let go. Sean pulled my hoodie back down,

"As long as you keep this thing off."

"Yessir."

He rolled his eyes at me and I smiled. My smiles were becoming more and more melancholic, which Sean could obviously see. He sighed and made himself comfortable in front of the fireplace.

"Mark loves you."

I shrunk into a ball, my hair falling into my eyes, "Don't tell me that."

"I know it doesn't feel like it, but he truly does care about you. I don't know why he would be stupid enough to let you go."

I scoffed, laying my head on my knees, "I don't know if he ever loved me in the first place."

"You're so dramatic."

"Whatever! That's how I feel." I stared into the fireplace, the wicks and flames of the steady fire stimulating my senses and blocking the things I didn't want to think. When I'm upset, I tend to internalize every part of the situation, even if or when it's not true. So, in an instance where someone breaks up with you, how can you not internalize that? Whether I would admit it or not, I was completely shattered.

Jack put his hand on my shoulder, inching closer to me, "Listen, Mark seems like he's going through a rough time right now. That doesn't excuse how he treated you, but give him a bit of credit. Hell, he hasn't talked to me in at least two months!"

"We were practically living together. I feel like that's a little bit different."

"It is, one hundred percent. But I know you and I know Mark. He'll come crawling back to you. Do you still want him back?"