Chapter 4

What arrogance. He was so sure of himself. So sure of her, too. She couldn't help rolling her eyes at the computer. Well, he had another thing coming.

RILEY: Are you still there?

She was going to tell him what she'd intended to in the first place, the part about him going too far.Only no answer came. Drat. She tried again.

RILEY: Hey, are you there? Answer me.

Damn it. He must really be gone off to raid yet another corporation or fly an airplane or something.

"I hate you," she whispered to the computer screen, even knowing he could no longer see or hear her. Which was probably why she said it since she didn't real y hate him. Far from it. She was intrigued by him. Had a strange crush
on him. Felt bizarrely lured in by him. It was the last one that scared her how did this guy make her want to do these shockingly out of character things? Why did she want to please him, excite him, so much?

She glanced over her shoulder to the bookshelves where the photo of him sat. Was it just because he was hot? Admittedly, if he'd been twenty years older or twenty pounds heavier or, frankly, just not attractive to her she knew she wouldn't keep perpetuating this. In fact, she probably would have packed up and left by now, out of sheer horror over revealing so much of herself to someone she'd never even met. But there was a lot to be said for chemistry.

If it was possible to feel this much chemistry with someone so far away, that counted for something. Right?

You're just trying to justify this somehow, make yourself feel better about it.

She'd felt weird enough before the corset and vibrator had shown up. But opening that box to find them inside had somehow yanked her private nighttime sin out into the bright light of day in a whole new way. She eyed the gifts now, the velvet draped over the edge of the box stil on the sofa, the fake purple penis jutting up from the tissue paper, as well .

Why did it have to be purple, for God's sake? And shaped so realistically like a freaking penis? Somehow that made the gift al the more blunt, all the more in your face. She couldn't help it she liked subtlety.

Of course, she thought, turning back to the computer, she'd come here to write, and she was going to write. Her deadline and checking account depended upon it.

Which, as dusk began to color the snow beyond the window a pale, flat gray, forced her mind back to Justin's gift, still on the couch all these hours later, taunting her. She turned in the rolling desk chair to look at it again, thinking what a nice, carefree day she'd had, having successful y banished it from her mind. Clearly, she'd been in denial.

Did he really think she was going to use that toy in front of him? Given that she'd never even used such a thing by herself, for heaven's sake? Even if she wanted to, trying out such a thing on camera just seemed like a bad idea.

So she'd ignore the gift, she decided.

And she'd ignore the clock tonight, too ten would come and go without consequence, and her voyeur would be forced to see that she simply wasn't into this. She might have seemed
into it the past two nights, but that shocking purple monstrosity had brought her back to her senses.

Getting to her feet, she grabbed the box and took the whole thing up to the bedroom, just to get it out of her direct line of vision.

Having thawed a hamburger patty, Xenia turned on a little music a local pop station then made herself a simple dinner, adding frozen crinkle fries to the burger. Flipping on the instant but stil cozy fire, she decided to settle in for an evening of reading after finishing her meal. No erotica tonight, though. Hemingway. Definitely Hemingway.