Chapter Twelve

The happenings after my scream were a blur. The dome had burst down. People had been running around. I remembered Jordan running towards Julia. I remembered Noah running to me. And then I remembered nothing but darkness. An overwhelming deep darkness, sweeping me in it's arms, as I closed my eyes.

*****

The rays of sun coming through my window finally woke me from the darkness. My head was banging, when I sat up. I looked around. How had I come home? What had happened? I took a deep breath, then I remembered. The ritual, the murders, Teresa, Julia's betrayal, Liam's revival. I shivered. Had they caught Liam?

Voices reached my room from downstairs, and I slowly stood up, my head banging, and pulled on some comfortable clothes. Whoever had put me in bed had stripped me of my clothes, meaning I was only in my underpants and a nightdress. When I looked myself in the mirror, I was met by a face with dark circles under the red eyes. I turned away. My wrists hurt, and when I looked at them, I wasn't surprised to find bruises, where the rope had tied my hands together.

As I slumped into the kitchen downstairs, I saw the reason of the voices. Maia and Hannah were there. They were talking to a woman, who looked very similar to Maia. Was it her mom? I raised and eyebrow, when I saw Detective Broom in the kitchen. There were some other people as well. I recognized Mr. Jones, Sam's adoptive father. I stepped further into the kitchen.

The minute she saw me, Maia ran to me and quickly pulled me into an embrace.
"Oh Penny," her voice shook lightly. Hannah came over slowly. Though she had put on a perfect layer of makeup, her bloodshot eyes showed she'd been crying.

"Is Noah here?" I asked looking around. I needed someone who had known Teresa as well as me. Maia gave a sympathetic smile.

"No," she sighed, "He's with his mom and brother. The Blackwells freaked out after... Anyways, they won't let him or his brother out."

I felt a slight pang of disappointment but tried not to show it. Hannah smiled slightly at me.

"It's because of Liam. We used to hang out with him. Since him and Julia went missing, they don't trust Noah," explained Hannah. Frowning, I turned to her.

"What?" I asked. Maia shrugged slightly.

"There was a lot of confusion after you screamed, Penny. They somehow got away," she said.

I Stepped back slightly, processing what I'd learnt. I opened my mouth to answer, but didn't get to, as the woman, I believed to be Maia's mother came over to us.

"Penelope Smythe," she gave a slight smile, "I am Maria Felloe, Maia's mother."

I shook her hand. Maia gave her mother a glance, but Mrs. Felloe didn't seem to notice.

"Can I speak with you under four eyes?" Mrs. Felloe asked. I sent Maia and Hannah a glance. Maia shrugged. Hannah didn't react. I nodded, following Mrs. Felloe out of the kitchen. Before leaving, she'd asked one of the people in there to make me some food. I didn't feel hungry, but it seemed impolite to decline.

We walked rather slowly up the stairs. My head was still banging, and I started to realize how sore my entire body was from the fight.

"I'm sorry, Penelope," Mrs. Felloe said, when we were out of earshot of the people in the kitchen. I looked at her, unsure what to answer.

"Your aunt isn't well. I believe she's in shock," Mrs. Felloe sounded almost lost, "Maybe if you see her, you can get her out?"

I didn't understand exactly what she meant, but we stopped in front of the door into Mrs. Thelonien's bedroom. I raised an eyebrow at Mrs. Felloe, who just sighed, opening the door.