Brothers at War - Part 6

• Dedicated to My Grandpa (G-pa)

During the final and most important week and a half of basic training before the platoon were shipped off to Korea they learned how to fire and handle weapons. They were taught how to shoot guns of all sizes, how to throw grenades and were taught how to drive and work a tank. This was many of the men's, including Chase and Gerard's favorite part of the entire training program. Although when the plastic dummy a hundred meters away got its head blown off for the first time, a number of men realized that in a week and a half that would be a person and not a dummy. They realized that it could be them with their brains blasted out. Many of them were scared but never admitted it.

Chase's favorite part was driving the enormous tank but when he drove it and made a direct path for the sergeant he spent that night cleaning and polishing the rifles.

Thedays between then and the day they would get on the huge air force plane to Korea quickly counted down like the last days at home. The platoon was subjected to freezing temperatures, practiced until perfection with the weaponry and did more physical training then ever.When there was only 4 full days left in the United States Sergeant Aisfifth introduced them to the PTtest, this included base building, field training, night time combat operations. Many parts of the test were made more difficult as it was the Sergeants job to try and create obstacles.

Sergeant Aisfifth explained after that it was important that the troops show fearlessness and aggression as they were important traits of a good soldier, he explained that being a soldier meant that they were supposed to uphold the constitution and protect the freedoms of others, Chase knew the last part was why they were in a war between North Korea, to protect the freedoms of South Korea.The Sergeant then said something that surprised the entire platoon "You've done well men,I'm proud of you and I believe you will make excellent soldiers for the United States Army. From Now you have 3 days of recovery"

The platoon went silent before that silence was broken by Tom Clayton "Sir are you drunk?"

"2 days of recovery" The sergeant replied before walking out of the room. After a large groan from the men and a few swear words tossed at Clayton the men celebrated. Private Cameron and Private Blair even stole some of the senior officer's beer. Miraculously the events of that night went un-noticed.

During recovery the men were allowed to leave the campus but they had to stay in uniform and they had a curfew. Chase and Ger travelled into the nearest town with a few men from the platoon, they entered a bar and just before Falcon,Turfery and Topping got completely drunk the two brothers disappeared to explore the town some more.

That's when they came across a pay phone.They looked at each other before racing into the booth, searching their pockets for a few quarters.