Chapter One: The Awakening

Darkness. Complete darkness. Am I dead? No...I'm not dead. I'm alive. I'm alive and asleep in a deep slumber from which I was about to awaken.

As I began to regain my conscious state of mind, I could hear voices. 

"Do you think she'll ever wake?" One of them said. I could identify it as male with a light Cockney accent worked into it. It sounded warm and loving, like a father's. It was familiar to me, but I couldn't tell whose voice it was. In fact...I couldn't remember anything.

"I don't know," said another. It is female this time, a stern tone, but her voice was like a mother's, kind and gentle. "But we're here to monitor her. She could lose control of her abilities again, even in this state."

"Yeah, but Pam-" My eyelids shot open. My eyes met with a sterile white ceiling. I tried to get up, but I couldn't. Panic began to surge through my viens. I pulled against whatever was holding me down, and a cold sweat ran down my face. Before I could register anything else, a hand covered my eyes."It's alright, love," the male voice told me. "You're safe. No one can hurt you." My muscles went from being tense to relaxed. My body became heavy. The hand was taken away from my eyes and I blinked. A man smiled down at me. He looked like he's in his early twenties-twenty-three by my guess. His hair was spiky and feathered out around his face. Both his eyes and hair were a beautiful forest green. A pair of yellow-lensed worksman goggles were pushed into his hair. He was grinning.

"W-who...?" My throat hurt too much to continue speaking. 

"Shh shh shh," the man said as he undid the things holding me down. "You were out for a pretty long time. I wouldn't start warming up those vocal chords of yours just yet. Wait a few minutes." I nodded and he helped me to sit up. I could see the room clearly now. It was a hospital room. At the end of the bed I was in, a woman was looking over papers on a clipboard. Her skin was dark, but her eyes were a vibrant orange. Her hair was a dark reddish brown, with her bangs covering her right eye. She wore a warm red, sleeveless top and brown pants. Multiple gold bracelets adorned both her wrists and three gold necklaces were around her neck. A white lab coat covered her clothes. She was twenty-four. I didn't know how I knew that, I just did.

"I'm Louis Gray," the man said, introducing himself. He pointed over to the woman, "And that lovely young lady over there is Dr. Pamela Anderson." The woman, Dr. Anderson, glared over at Louis. I looked over at him and got a good look at his attire. A dirt brown trench coat over a bright green turtleneck sweater and a pair of dirty jeans.

"Louis. Out. Now," Dr. Anderson said harshly, tapping a pen against the clipboard.

"Come on, Pam! I helped too!"

"You're not a doctor. Get out and away from my patient." Louis held up his hands in defeat and walked out of the hospital room. I felt my body tense as the door slammed shut. Dr. Anderson looked over at me and wrote something down on her clipboard.

"What are you-" I tried to ask her, but the woman put a finger to her lips, signalling for me to be quiet.

"Save your voice," She said calmly. She walked over to me and pulled a chair out from the corner of the room. She sat down in it and looked me in the eyes. I inched away a bit. I was scared. I was in a hospital room, with no memory to guide me and I was with a stranger. Could you blame me for being scared? 

Dr. Anderson continued her gaze until I looked into her own orange eyes. I saw the strangest thing. Flames. Flames flickered in her pupils and irises. They held so many things I didn't understand. I saw pain, heartbreak and death. But I also saw hope, warmth and love. It was all very confusing.

 Dr. Anderson broke the gaze. She looked down at her clipboard and wrote something else. 

"Name," she said. I blinked at her. "I need your name." I thought long and hard about this one. The voice from my memory rang in my ears. 

"Maomi," I answered automatically. I couldn't understand why I said that, it just came to me. I guess that was my name. "Nothing else." My voice was like sandpaper against my throat.

 "How old are you?"

"I don't know."

"Who are your parents?"

"I don't know."

"Is there anyone we could-"

"I DON'T KNOW!" I yelled. Something nearby-one of the machines that were hooked to my body-sparked and fizzled out. I yelped and jumped in surprise. Dr.Anderson held my shoulder. I pulled away.

"Please, calm down, Maomi," she said, her voice soothing. "You destroyed a lot of our equipment in the three months you've been here."

"Three months?!" Something else popped and sparked and my throat hurt me like mad, but I didn't care. Dr. Anderson grabbed my hands and turned my face towards hers.

"Maomi. I need you to calm down," She said calmly. 

"I..." My voice trailed off. I didn't know what to say. I was confused and scared. "I want Mr. Gray." Dr. Anderson sighed and let go of my hands. Her feet slapped against the floor and exited the room briefly before bringing Louis back in by his ear.

"Ow ow ow!" He said as Dr. Anderson's nail pierced his skin. He smiled when he saw me."Missed me, love?" He said with a grin. I smiled a bit. Louis was the first person to make me feel safe here. Dr. Anderson sat back down in her chair as Louis sat down on the bed next to me.

"Louis brought you here three months ago," Dr. Anderson explained. "Your body was...burned. I was able to reverse the damage, thank god for my way with fire, but I couldn't awaken you. Louis and I have been watching over you ever since."

"What's the date?" I asked.

"January 30th, 2130," answered Louis. "The time is about 5:39 A.M. and we are the only ones in this building." My hands clenched together. I sallowed whatever was in my mouth. 

"Before I woke up...I heard you two talking...about...my abilities?" Dr. Anderson looked at the floor and Louis looked at me. I saw into his eyes. They were filled with what seemed to me the very essence of nature. All the greenery I could see through his eyes. Beyond that was wonder and imagination, with pain and abuse hidden behind it.

"Do you not remember?" He asked. "How special you are? How special all of us are?" I shook my head.

"Maomi," Dr. Anderson stood and pulled her coat tighter over her body. "No one knows how, but...there are very few people, like Louis, you and I, who are...different from everyone else."

"What do you mean?"

"We, my dear girl," Louis said with a laugh, "are what the world calls 'Unnaturals'"