A House Divided

The figure glanced at Steven and started walking down the stairs revealing his face. The figure was a male, about mid to late 50s, he was wearing camouflage, and had a long scar across his eye. "Is he bit?" The man said pointing at Steven vaguely as if something else was on his mind. Frank shook his head no and said "We checked him for bites when he was passed out." The Man stopped about 3 feet from Steven and pulled a cigar out, lighting it with a match. "The Names Adam Casey. 45th regiment. Served in 'Nam for 3 years." He said puffing smoke out informally. He spoke like he was in charge. Then again, what Better person to have in charge when the worlds ending. "I'm Steven." He said putting his hand out gingerly not really wanting to touch the man, but felt it was in order. "Shut yer yap and get inside. We got to get these doors shut." He said starting to walk up the steps and glanced back seeing that only Frank was following him. "Well You coming or not?" Steven nodded and ran up behind him to catch up. Reaching the steps, a large bald man motioned for them to come inside and shut the door barricading it with a lock and dropping in the key in his pocket. Looking around, he was in a dim hallway lit with candles, lockers lined the walls and posters advertising various activities and rules. To the right, a young woman stood already continuing a conversation. To the left, a small child sat playing with a doll as a short man spoke with a bulky woman middle-aged woman. The short man looked up nervously at Steven as if troubled by the strangers presence. Steven followed Mr. Casey to a tent at the end of the hallway and raised his eyebrow "What happened here? Where is everyone?" Casey sat down with a sigh and looked up. "We all predicted it. Knew it was coming. The signs were everywhere, but not many people noticed them. Until one day, the whole thing just collapsed. The Government told people to head to the cities. Cities got overrun. Power went out. People went crazy and started shooting each other for a can of soup or a water bottle. It was chaos. Mr. Rigley, the man at the door was principal of this school and was generous enough to have us." Steven nodded silently, knowing that in recent years things just seemed to be getting worse and worse. Strange disease outbreaks all over the world, rebellions against governments in countries all over Europe and Asia, crimes of mass murder committed everywhere in the United States, everything seemed to be leading up to one great event that would execute us all. "I'm gonna take a look around. Is that alright?" Casey nodded vaguely moving his hand and saying "Oh and don't go into the gym. It's off limits." Steven nodded raising his eyebrow a bit, but not questioning him. Walking down the hall, he tried to go through everything that had happened. First the plane crashed and he ran from this things into a shop. Then those two men saved him and one of them brought him here. All eyes were on him, as he walked through here. "anyone have a phone?" One of the men nearby started laughing, "Phones don't work. Even if they did everyone else is dead anyways." The man stood up putting the cards he had been playing with down. "The Names Earl. Earl Kern." Steven put his hand out to shake and said "I'm Steven." Earl spit on his hand and shook it. "Welcome to Hell, Steven.