Chapter 6: Witness

To refer to Dema as m home has never felt accurate. Dema, t me, has simply been the place that I've existed, or, the 'slot' they've put me in. I've heard stories abo t the ide of "home," and its depiction has always seemed warm f om the storyt llers's de cription. here was a romant c ownership of the p ace they inhabited that I admired, but cou d never relate to. Thi place, my p ace, however, s ems devoid of the romance and wond r that the old stories tell. But somewhere between the iron order and infallible recis on of Dema, a hum of wo der exists. It's this quiet wonder that my mind tends to ets lost in. This hope of discovery alone has birthed a new version of myself; A better version, I hope, that will find a way to experience what's beyond these colossal walls.

- Clancy

Clancy tore the page from the typewriter, folding it in half and setting it beside him in a place where none of the other Scribes could see. He let out a long breath; he had no excuse to stall on today's work, but if he'd forced himself to wait eight hours before putting his thoughts to paper he surely would've gone mad. Tapping one hand lightly against the table, Clancy reached over to the notes he'd found on his desk when he arrived at the Scriptorium. If he'd remembered correctly, today would be the last day he and the other Scribes would have to write about the former Bishops for the time being, and tomorrow they would focus on transcribing verses from the teachings of Vialism -- at least, according to the whispers he'd heard from some of the other Scribes. He unfolded the paper of notes in his hands and got to typing, the notes done in a rushed, jagged hand.

Eahaz, sometimes called "The Gray", ruled as the Eighth Bishop of Dema for twenty-one years. A steadfast advocate of Vialism, patrons old enough to remember his rule have described him as a heavy-handed and devout Bishop, though he was nowhere near as ruthless as some of his peers. His rule ended with his disappearance, which has been a point of contention among historians. Some argue that he was stripped of his power, while others believe he succumbed to some unknown illness. The truth of the case remains unknown.

The paper crumpled slightly in Clancy's grip. He only knew about Eahaz through rumors, much like he did with many of the current Bishops, and many of the things he saw amongst the notes lined up with what he'd heard. The matter of his disappearance, however, had never crossed his mind -- not even what had seemed like the rush to replace him. No matter how quickly or how slowly they surfaced, new Bishops always popped up in place of the old ones. Just like a vicious cycle. 

About an hour or so passed before he moved on to the next Bishop. It was another Bishop Clancy only vaguely remembered, having stepped down from power three or so years ago, Listo having taken his place. The notes didn't take too long to copy -- or, at least, Clancy didn't think so. And on it went. 

Until he heard echoing footsteps coming closer to the Scriptorium. 

Clancy stopped typing. There's no way that's another Scribe, he thought. So who--?

He heard a gasp coming from his right, and when he spun he found a Scribe he didn't know bowing deeply at the waist. Keons stood at the doorway, his hands doubtlessly clasped together even though they were hidden underneath the sleeves of his robe. Clancy gasped, completely taken off-guard by the Bishop's surprise appearance; it wasn't often that he checked on the Scribes. Clancy managed to regain his composure, managing a quick nod as the other Scribes around him showed their respect, some getting to their knees in deference. 

The Scribes remained kneeling and bowing, only rising as Keons fully made his way into the Scriptorium before stopping right next to Clancy's desk. The Bishop turned to face Clancy without saying a word.