Chapter One

Conference goers poured into the auditorium brimming with anticipation; some regular conference goers, some naysayers and some unsure of which category they fit into.  Kao, calm, calculating and focused, effortlessly blended in with the goings on.  To those around him, he was just another attendee wanting to know more.

As if sniffing out his prey he made his way to the focal point of the room; a platform adorned with a podium, a row of tables, and chairs all set up beneath a large projector screen.  His quest pulled him just past the set-up to the back stage area where nervous assistants, event planners and organizers fluttered about- papers in hand, making last minute preparations against the ticking clock. 

Speakers, teachers and “personal encounter experts” organized speaking points while gaging the rumbles of the growing crowd.  All of which worked together to create the right balance of organized chaos that Kao needed to gather intel.

“Dr. Freeman.”  A woman’s voice called, drawing Kao’s attention just as he was concealed by the shadows. 

“Please, call me Allisa.”  She requested.

Allisa Freeman.  Kao watched as his prey identified herself.

“Allisa.”  Sara corrected.  “The session should be starting soon.  Everyone is buzzing about you joining the panel discussion today.”

“Hopefully I won’t disappoint.” Allisa offered with a smile before continuing.  “I have so much that I want to share.”

“I’m sure you’ll do fine.  Pay attention to the monitors near the stairs that lead to the stage, so that you can hear your queue during the introduction.” Sara instructed.

Allisa nodded; relieved at Sara’s departure as she was unsure how much longer she could keep her composure.

Kao patiently observed the exchange from a distance sizing up his unwitting opponent.  As she flipped through index cards mouthing factual accounts and other information, even from a few feet away, he could feel her anxiety churning, working as her undoing.  A small stream of   stage fright rapidly developed into an overwhelming, fast rushing waterfall of fear. 

Kao, feeding on her distress, felt stronger and even more capable of conquering her.  This is gonna be too easy.  He gloated at her disadvantage.

Allisa, trembling hands almost juggling her note cards, shut her eyes tight, took a series of deep breaths and closed off her thoughts and emotions as they were clearly working against her in that moment.

“I invited fear in and I can command it to leave!” She uttered to compose herself.  A simple reminder that had never failed her, and in this instance it caused Kao’s indulgence in her unrest to be short lived. 

So focused on taming her unruly nerves, Allisa hadn’t even noticed the rumble of the sound monitors. 

“…Dr. Frederick Weiss, Parapsychologist.” - CLUNK- CLUNK-CLUNK. 

She opened her eyes just as another panel member trudged up the stairs and onto the stage.  Apparently, her personal pep talk had come just in time.

“…And last, but not least, please join me in welcoming Religious Studies expert, Demonologist and author of ‘Calling on Your Inner Archangel’- Dr. Allisa Freeman, to today’s panel discussion.”  Allisa took one last calming breath before climbing the stairs towards the barrage of applause calling to her. 

Kao emerged from the comfort of the darkness that had rendered him invisible.  Like any good hunter stalking his prey in its natural habitat, his eyes were locked on Allisa even as she settled into her place on the panel.  They were still not evenly matched, but the margin of her weakness was in steady decline. 

The task, previously considered menial was now so much more.  He wondered if he was being set up to succeed or to fail.  He didn’t know the answer, but he was certain of one thing, he had clearly underestimated his opponent…all of them.

****************************************************************************************************

Don't forget to vote, share your feedback/suggestions in the comments and subscribe to http://www.twcolvin.com/