The Epilogue

"Deliver Us From D'Evils"

Empire State of Mind

Jay-Z learned quickly how to outmaneuver the competition. In order to blow, do whatever it takes. But do it slow. Learned fast, to mow the grass low, the Snake's low.

Against the odds, and grain. Project poverty, no father, statutes, cases and any other limitations that came with the Hard Knock Life.

Meanwhile, Godfathering in a new era and success path for the Hip-Hop Generation. Artistically expressing the cultural shift and lifestyle trajectory from purely aspirational to realizing and redefining the American Dream, at once.

For once, it was in with New Money, out with the Old Money. From stacking paper to accumulating wealth. From running the Streets to owning the C-Suite.

Chief among them, Shawn Carter. Jigga’s meteoric rise epitomized and embodied the aspirational value of the culture.

Himself, going “From pauper to President.” From not being owned, to owning. From, not working for the man, to the Man working for him. Outgrowing the suits and being a bona fide businessman, to becoming a “Business Man!”

“On covers with Warren Buffet.”

Breaking rules and Generational Curses. Like the rest of us in Hip-Hop’s GenX.

Ain’t No Love 

No Love in the Heart of the city, for the kid from Marcy, on this day. Pledging allegiance to a shield. Delivering someone else’s Public Service Announcement.

At face value, Jay's NFL deal appeared to be the latest chapter in his novel, reprising the American Gangster.

All part of the plan, and Blueprint, in building the Dynasty, La Familia. Therein, lies the rub.

Where’s Fam?

“D'Evils beating me down, boo

Got me running with guys

Making G’s, Telling Lies 

That sound True.”

Conflicting confessions of a ghetto superstar. Kind that'll have'em doing Ape Shit. Paying down debt for the wages of sin. In Shiny Suits. Cashing in on a devilish bid to Run This Town. 

Watching The Throne. With an Empire State of Mind. Even putting  on for Vatican City. 

"Hope you been reading your Psalms 

And chapters

Paying your tithe

Being good Catholics..."

Yet, willing to risk everything and do anything to kiss the the rings of Owners corrupted by power in search of the Holy Grail.

Watching him respond to relatively friendly fire from the media assembly, judging by his body language, Jay was clearly uneasy, showing some form of regret.

“On the, rise to the top

Many drop, don’t forget

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets."

The only way to live with them. On the Low. Behind closed, brass doors. The Emperor and Renegade both wearing no clothes.

Hov, flipping the script from his previous position supporting Collin Kapernick. 

“If every (expletive) in your clique is rich