Chapter 1

I sat down on the edge of my bed and wiped the last of my tears away. I’d just been told that I was leaving England to go and stay in California with my Aunt and Uncle for a while. I was leaving first thing tomorrow morning without even giving me time to say goodbye to my friends

It was only going to be for three months while my mum was in rehab for her alcohol addiction, but I knew that no matter how long she spent there she would never go back to the way she was ever again. The only cure was my father. Her husband. Her mate.

 Let me tell you a bit about myself, I’m Eleanor-May Stone but everyone just calls me Ellie and I am 17 years old. I’m not just a normal teenager however. I’m a wolf.

 I stared at the picture of my sister, Beth, my dad my mum and me on my dressing table. We were a real family back then. We were normal, well as normal as a family of wolves could be.

 I sighed and leant against the headboard of my bed. “This time tomorrow we’ll be in America.” My wolf, Rose, reminded me almost setting off a fresh wave of tears.

 “Don’t remind me.” I responded stubbornly.

 “We could find our mate.” I felt my wolf becoming giddy with excitement while I tried to suppress her joy.

 “We don’t want a mate, remember?” It was true. I didn’t want a mate. In my experience all they do is mess your life up and cause you to have feelings and emotions you didn’t even know existed inside of you leading to drastic measures. My mother, sister and best mate were all proof of that and I knew for sure that I would never be able to go through it. 

 I felt satisfied when my wolf didn’t respond meaning I’d won the argument and got changed into my pyjamas and brushed my teeth before curling up in my duvet and willing sleep to come

**********************

My alarm clock startled me awake the next morning and I quickly showered and got dressed before heading downstairs for breakfast.

I smiled at my mum when I saw her in the kitchen and walked around the kitchen counter to give her a hug and a kiss on the cheek before putting some cornflakes in a bowl and pouring milk over them. It was so rare to see my mum in the mornings, usually she just stayed upstairs with a hangover from the night before. 

“Are you packed?” My mother’s voice rang out over the silence. I looked at her in shock, it was so rare that she spoke nowadays.

 “I was gonna do it after breakfast.” I said smiling gently at her before going back to my cornflakes.

She didn’t say anything for the rest of the meal which didn’t surprise me in the slightest. I headed back upstairs and packed my suitcase which didn’t take me long seeing as I didn’t really have many clothes and things because my mum spent most of her money on alcohol.

I took one last look around my bedroom before closing the door and dragging my suitcase down the stairs. 

My mum was in the hallway waiting for me and pulled me into a hug as soon as I put my suitcase down.

“I’m so sorry Ellie.” I heard her muffled voice before I felt her warm tears staining my white shirt.

“Don’t cry mum.” I said blinking back the tears. “It’s not your fault.”

“I haven’t exactly been the best mum in the world.” She admitted looking away guiltily.

“But you loved me unconditionally.” I smiled up at her seeing as she was slightly taller than me and she gave me the biggest smile I’ve seen on her face in years.

 “I love you.” She kissed my forehead just as the taxi honked it’s horn outside.

“I love you too.” I pulled her into a hug, being careful not to hurt her due to how skinny she was before picking up my suitcase and opening the front door.

 She watched me to the end of the path and as I turned around to close the gate. I glanced back at her just in time to see her mouth the words ‘forever and always’.

 I felt the tears well up in my eyes as I opened the taxi door and pulled my suitcase onto the seat next to me. 

 “Airport please.” I muttered quietly as the taxi began moving. I glanced back once more to see my mum standing in the doorway and I gave her a small wave as I watched the house until we were around the corner and it was out of sight.

 I closed my eyes and allowed myself to fall into a steady sleep as I began my new life.

 **********************

Thank you to everyone who’s read this chapter, please comment and vote.

Don’t be too harsh with the comments though because it’s only my first story.