Matchmaker, mediator, friend...I've played all the rolls

Three steps. Two steps. One step. My heart pounded rapidly against the wall. I silently turned my head to see Rahul and Bella talking. I pressed my ear closer to listen to what they were saying.

Bella said, “What are you talking about? Mario Kart is ten times better than Sonic!”

Rahul said, “Your crazy! Mario Kart is boring while Sonic is the best game in the world!”

Bella said, “Whatever. How’s your skateboarding?”

Rahul said, “I almost landed this trick I’ve been working on! I was like: WOOOO! Ow… I’ll show you sometime.”

Bella smiled softly and said, “Awesome. Can’t wait.”

I heard Bella’s laugh and smiled secretly to myself. I was going to bring those two together. I snuck out from beneath the wall and headed back down the stairs to go read some more of my beloved fanfiction. I was passing through a couple of chapters when I heard someone blundering down the stairs. I looked up to see Bella running at me with full force.

Bella said, “MALUUUUUU! You have to get up from reading! I have so much to tell you!”

I raised an eyebrow and said, “Really? Does this have anything to do with Rahul?”

In a shrill voice, Bella said, “No! Of course not! Why would this be about Rahul? I don’t have anything to do with him!” Her nervously laugh started echoing in the room.

I cracked up saying, “Y-you ar-re s-such a b-bad l-iar!”

I could feel her vicious glare on me even before I stopped laughing.

Bella said, “I am not! I can definitely lie when I want to!”

I pretended to be deep in thought. I said, “Oh! There was this one time when–. Oh no. You went into a squeaky voice. There was another time when–. Oh nope. You started hyperventilating. Sorry! I can’t think of anything right now.”

Bella just walked away and plopped back up the stairs leaving me in ripe laughter.

After my laughter had subsided I turned back to my mom’s iPhone and continued to read exciting stories of witches and goblins. I was slightly put out when I saw that the phone only had 20% of its battery left.

Deciding to do the better thing, I gave the phone back to my mom and poured myself a cup of mango punch while surveying the party. Everyone older than thirteen years was dancing in the middle of the living room to some random Bollywood song. I rolled my eyes watching some of the girls trying to impress the nonchalant guys.

“What are you doing?”

I spun around, spilling my drink, to meet Vish’s cocky smirk.

I said, “Crap Vish! Why’d you have to go scare me like that? You’re cleaning this up!”

He said, “Yeah right klutz!”

I said, “Shut up Vish, and go play with your geeky toys.”

He said, “Make me.”

Glaring at him, I said, “Oh. I will.”

He ran off and went up the stairs, two at a time.

I laughed while wiping the mess I made off the floor. While I was throwing the napkin away, someone tapped my shoulder. I turned around with a frown on my face. Without looking at the person I said, “I thought you ran away Vish.”

I heard someone chuckling. “Are you trying to insult me? You shouldn’t compare people to Vish lightly.”

Mike. Was. Standing. Right. Behind. Me.

It would suffice to say that I had a small crush on him, not that I would ever show it. Mike was the typical bad boy. Going out with girls, defying his parents with every move, getting kicked out of class, and influencing everyone around him in a bad way spotted his otherwise squeaky clean record.

I internally screamed when I looked up to meet his eyes. I said, “Do you need something?”

He said, “You’re standing in front of the trash can.”

My heart deflated like a balloon without any air left. I silently stepped aside so he could get to the trashcan.

He walked away without another word, and I stood there like an idiot watching him leave.

I walked back upstairs to see if Bella was still talking to Vish, but another sight shocked me. Mike was flirting with her, and she was flirting back. I felt darts being thrown at my heart. I composed my face and walked over to them. Bella was laughing and Mike was looking at her with a frown on his face.

I frowned wondering what was so funny.

Bella said, “Mike just told me about how you thought he was Vish.”

I allowed myself to smile slightly.

He looked at me once and said, “How do you deal with this one?”

I said, “Lots of practice. You get used to it after a while. She might be a bit quirky, but she’s my best friend!” Bella laughed louder.

He leaned a little bit closer to me and said, “A bit?”

I grinned and decided to slowly exit the room with him. When we were both out of there, we looked at each other once and started laughing much like Bella was.

This is my first story!!!!! Comment please!!!!!