A City of Sleeping Hearts

• Dedicated to Holland Roden

Title: a city of sleeping hearts

Day/Theme: 23. and finally everyone left me and went home; how could they, when you're still crying? 

Series: Teen Wolf

Character/Pairing: Lydia Martin, Isaac Lahey 

Rating: Fiction T 

Notes: Set post Season 4. Title from A City of Sleeping Hearts by Urbandub.

Lydia goes on walks.

Sure she has a car and can drive herself anywhere. But she loves the feeling of walking.

The act of putting one foot forward is grounding. And in some ways, familiar.

The first time she walks to the cemetery, she has nothing in her hands.

With her head bowed, she numbly walks among the graves. She doesn't glance at the names but just follows a gut feeling.

When she looks up, she's in front of Allison's headstone.

She reads the phrase below Allison's name, "Beloved Daughter and Friend".

She blinks a few times. And balls her hands into fists.

The wind rustles the leaves on the grass. Lydia silently kneels and starts to pick the fallen leaves off the grave.

++

Two weeks later, Lydia enters the cemetery. She has a small bouquet in one hand while the other snags a lock of hair that's flying around and tucks it behind her ear.

She walks to Allison's grave. The cemetery is silent but not ominous. It's comforting.

There aren't any fallen leaves when she arrives at Allison's grave. There's dew on the grass.

Lydia doesn't notice this as she places the bouquet.

She stands in silence with her hands in the pockets of her dress.

Her mind echoes with the scream she locks inside. She bites her lip.

++