XXIX

"What in Gracious' name is a custos?" Jax broke the silence

I straightened my composure, feeling the ache in my chest dissipate by the minute. It was still uncomfortable, but manageable.

The Maior smiled and gave Jax a good pat on the shoulder. He winced, accidentally putting pressure on his bad leg, and stepped away as the Maior came to me. I froze, petrified, as he got closer.

He walked slowly with a small smile played on his face. His features lit up like a cute old grandfather. I feared his presence but found him oddly endearing. If it weren't for the fact that he had so much wisdom and knowledge inside of him, I would have treated him as if he were my own grandparent; like I tried to be with the elders of Potentia Flamber.

Sensing my discomfort, Marisole stood beside me, hand on my arm. It was comforting to know I had someone to semi-trust with me. She could easily sell me out and I'd be dead weight, but she stood with me instead. I respected her for that.

"Dear, you've seen a lot of new things, haven't you?" The Maior directed to her.

I bit down on my lip. "I guess you could say that." I tried to give out a nonchalant chuckle to show I wasn't as terrified as I really was. Nonetheless, I knew the Maior could sense my fear from a mile away.

"Maior, if I may ask," Gaia intercepted. "What did you mean by her reaction?"

The Maior turned to her. "Don't worry about it. It's none of your concern. Ella knows what it is. Don't you, dear?"

I wanted to be just as confused as everyone else, but I knew deep down that the Maior was right. As always. I knew this was a common reaction for someone with my blood around his wisdom and magic. We weren't supposed to be close. There were consequences. My body rejected being around him as if activating an ancient curse that flowed through my veins.

"Yes," I managed to whisper.

"Very well," he said. "Now, come, come. We have lots to discuss."

"Uh, wait, Maior," Herc interrupted. "We're kind of in a hurry and we were hoping—

"Yes, I'm aware of your predicament, but this cannot wait. The future of this land depends on it."

Herc frowned as the Maior turned around. He waved at us to follow him back from where he came from. Gaia shrugged and started trotting with the Maior, and soon everyone else followed suit. I walked with Marisole, holding onto her arm for dear life.

After a couple of minutes of walking through tree roots, from the same enormous tree, I saw a cottage standing in the middle of a field surrounded by pine trees. If it weren't for the golden rays of the vermiculo, it would've looked creepy. The building itself was smaller than the average domum back home. It was adorable but had an eerie energy around it, as if it was alive.