Monsters

Monique first met John at the park when she was seven. He fixed her broken Barbie doll. He was a gentleman. He also had a toothy grin. He told her stories of castles. Of knights and adventures. He made her laugh at his antics. He snored when he slept and would always scare the monsters away at night.

When she'd ask him why he did that, he'd say, "The monsters live in the basement. They can't get to you if I scare them away."

Monique hasn't tried to go to the basement. Her parents watch her every move. Her mum still gives her pills. She takes ten now.

She sits at her study table doing her maths investigation. She received extensions from her teachers and new booklets because of her little accident. She's about finishing the maths booklet when she hears ragged breathing behind her. She turns around expecting to find her mum behind her.

She's wrong.

The boy looks at her with red eyes. Her blood runs cold. She tries to scream but nothing comes out. There are bags under his eyes. He's gaunt and stands at an awkward angle. Blood dribbles down his face. His skin is as white as paper.

"I want my mummy," He says. "I want my mummy." Monique closes her eyes. He's not real. He's a nightmare. He's a trick of the imagination.

John's voice echoes in the back of her mind. "The monsters live in the basement. They can't get to you if I scare them away."

Before Monique can say anything, the boy moves so close, their faces are almost touching. Monique crinkles her nose at the putrid smell that he emits from his body. "Why don't you help me? Get me out of the basement." He wraps a hand around her neck. Monique begins to gag. His hands are cold. Too cold for her liking "Get me out of the basement. I need to see my mummy. I want to see my mummy."

Monique wants to pry his hands away but is too scared. She can't remove her eyes from his neck. It's been slit. He's dead.

Panic rises in her chest, higher than ever before.

There are monsters in the basement.

He's the monster.

He's one of the few John has been protecting her from. Now she's alone. Vulnerable. She has no protection. The monsters can run loose now.

"Why are you in the basement?" She manages to say whilst gasping for air.

The boy's face is rigid with fear, "Man put me there. He said he'd give me some candy."

"Who is Man?"

The boy stares coldly into her eyes. He whispers, "There are more of us in the basement. It's only a matter of time before we come for you ...including the Doctor."

Monique gulps, "Who is the Doctor?"

The boy grins. He only has his two front teeth. They are yellow. Rotten. Disgusting. "Blood Red."

He vanishes.

Monique stares at the Blood Reds on her table.