9

"Really?!"

Kyra ignored the girl's surprised voice, ignored the joy in her eyes. She could no longer ignore the heaviness of her body as she walked to the house. It was as if weights had been attached to every limb and the pebbles on the ground were spikes. Every step was filled with agony. Her wounds burned and cried out. Kyra had to take careful steps to make sure she wouldn't collapse again. By the time they reached the building, Kyra's legs were shaking like a newborn Para horse.

Sensing her head growing lighter by the second, Kyra tried to graciously bring herself down, but instead collapsed in a heap. Gritting her teeth, she turned herself around and sat with her legs spread in front of her, leaning against the soft flowers and cherished the sweetness of their scent. Shey watched her intently, eyes too serious for such a young face. Kyra beckoned her weakly to come and sit on her lap. The little girl obeyed and Kyra's arm wrapped around her with her remaining strength.

"Shey, your mommy and brother are safe."

The words hung in the air for some time. Kyra feared she might pass before she would receive a reaction.

"But not here?" Shey blinked up at her, voice small. "Did the bad men take them away?"

"No, not here and not with the bad guys." Kyra replied, marveling at the intelligence of the child. Shey was young, very young, but she understood. Perhaps she didn't understand what had happened, but Kyra couldn't explain it to her. She didn't want to explain. Kyra just wanted her own bed. Her wounds no longer hurt.

As she looked into Shey's golden eyes, Kyra's mind struggled with a single question. It was hypothetical and completely useless, but it raced through her brain anyway. When Kyra had fought the terrorist, all she knew about him was that he was dangerous and thus needed to be stopped. She also knew that if he hadn't been carrying a detonator, she would have let him live. She wondered whether Shey would have done the same. Kyra hoped she would.

"They are far away now, but safe." she said.

"What about us?" Shey's bottom lip trembled.

Kyra swallowed and immediately coughed. Blood splattered on the ground and on the beige trousers. She spit some more out besides her. Shey's eyes grew round.

"Hey now," Kyra recovered herself, "don't look so afraid. We'll be together."

"Really?" Shey reached out with her sleeve and dabbed at the blood on Kyra's chin and lips.

"Really." Kyra would challenge the heavens for that privilege. She leaned back. Her earpiece beeped again. Against her will, her heart thundered in her chest.

"I'm sorry." her captain whispered like a mantra in her ear "I'm so sorry."

Kyra forgave him. There was nothing to do about it now. She pulled the little girl closer.

"Hey kid-"

"My name is Shey, you know that." Shey pouted. Kyra laughed, surprisingly heartily.

"Sorry Shey." She tried to pat the girl's head, but only had the strength for a weak stroke on her back. "I just wanted to tell you, that we are going on an adventure."

"Really?!" The yellow eyes merged with the golden flakes that floated in the air. They were beautiful, Kyra noted, and everywhere. Shey could have been watching her this whole time. Did she think of Kyra as a hero? Or was she just scary, like all the others? 

"Yeah, together. You've only been on this planet, right?"

Shey nodded slowly and then her face lit up in excitement. There was little question to what she was thinking.

Kyra forced a smile back. Her eyes stung. "Well, I've been to plenty of others. I will show you all of them. All the places I've visited, all the things I have seen. I'll teach you all about them."

"Awesome!" Shey giggled, clapping her hands. The sound echoed off the walls.

The suns shone in their faces. Kyra imagined that her green ones were glittering with withheld tears. Her father had always teased her by comparing them to the Hopps, a type of dragonfly that lived in trees. Kyra never liked those creatures but secretly did find them pretty.

"I will show you the wonders of the world and beyond." she promised. " I'll bring you to my home on Lunaris. There is a giant snake in the sea there who likes to play."

Shey gaped at her. Kyra grinned and searched for a story about Po to tell her. The pounding of her head was dim and easier to ignore now that she had a distraction. 

"Will Shaya be there as well? And mommy? Can you take them too?" Shey asked.

Kyra nodded. "They will be there, but they might take a while. When they get there, you'll know and then we can go again."

"Yay!" Shey cheered.

The light became blinding. Kyra's earpiece choked out a countdown. Her captain's voice was gone. Kyra pressed the child closer to her and wrapped another arm around her. A distant thud reverberated in the ground, stirring the golden flakes on it. As an afterthought, she gathered some of the flowers from behind her and put them in Shey's arms. If she wasn't mistaken, Mashui were buried with bouquets and toys to present to their loved ones in the afterlife. They would have to make due with only flowers now. For good measure, Kyra laid down as far as she could, until the petals brushed her cheeks. Little spikes of pain shot up her back. The machete tip was still making its way through her.

"Shey, before we go-" Kyra choked and called up all of her remaining energy. More blood dribbled down her nose and from the corner of her mouth.

"Yeah? How do we go?"

Shey's little face was crushed against the soldier's chest. She squirmed but couldn't free herself. Kyra cleared her throat, feeling the heat grow. The suns were harmless compared to the muted force from her right. The golden dust gathered in the air even when there was no wind left. It was a wave of light and heat, rolling over the buildings like a tsunami. The air became thin and they both drew raspy breaths. 

For a brief moment, Kyra darkly hoped they'd suffocate and faint before being burned alive. She dared a glance to the sight, squinting against the brightness. Light poured in through the streets, filling every crevice and chasing the shadows out.

"We need to close our eyes and sleep first. So that we are rested before we leave." Kyra wheezed.

Shey winced and Kyra lifted her arm to shield her, wishing she could shield her from the destructive force as well. Praying that her battered body would protect the little girl in her arms. But what good would it do? Shey would be alone in a destroyed city where no one would come for her until months later. Kyra tested her legs, but they were chained to the ground by pink petals. Gold shimmered on her uniform. Shey's hair was almost blonde. Perhaps, instead of burning they would become statues. 

Tears escaped Kyra's eyes. She didn't want this. They needed to live. Somehow. Kyra wanted to live. Her legs still wouldn't obey. Kyra was numb but her mind was racing as if nothing had happened. Behind her rib cage, her heart hammered. Shey's little heart matched hers. The little girl buried herself in Kyra's arms. Kyra leaned back, in a last attempt to be comfortable. 

She remembered her home and her friends. Her childhood playing in the water. The way her first crush from the military bootcamp looked at her after she finished first in the swimming test. Her last phone call with her father, two days before she was sent to Xanbu. Tears streamed down her cheeks.

"Alright then," Shey's sweet voice cut through her memories, quietly but kind, "goodnight Kyra!"

The light scorched her arm. Kyra bit back a sob, "Good-