The Beard

Flash. "Hannah! Look this way!" Another flash. Brighter this time. How did I ever get in this mess? I nearly tripped when someone grabbed my hand and pulled. These bright red heels didn't look so good to me anymore. I looked around at the hundreds of people hoping to get a clear shot of one of the most popular guys in the world. And his new girlfriend. Me.

     "Hannah! Are you alright?" A familiar low voice asked. Harry put his arm around me and pulled me into his chest while walking me into his flat. His four best friends were trailing along behind us. I took a step into his flat and smelled the fresh scent of vanilla. I heard the door slam behind us and I slowly lifted my head to look into my boyfriend's eyes. The one I was supposed to love. Only I didn't. I saw Harry's green eyes gazing down at me. This felt so wrong. It all happened because of my job. This is the story of how I became Harry Styles' beard.

     It all started on a Friday afternoon. I sighed and looked around my small office. Don't get me wrong, I love my job. I basically listen to music and give music companies opinions. Easy right? My dad got me the job since I just got out of high school and apparently, I need to learn to make my own money. I normally spend most of my time watching One Direction videos on the computer and reading fan fictions. I totally like Larry Stylinson. My best friend and I were so excited when Louis and Eleanor broke up about half a year ago. I love Eleanor but I couldn’t help but think that maybe Larry could finally be together! Anyway, I was doing absolutely nothing when my phone rang. I looked through my office door to see if maybe some of the other employees were joking with me and prank calling me. I never get phone calls. I hesitantly picked up the phone, silencing the obnoxious ring.

                “Hello?” I said, unsurely.

              “Miss Walker? You’re need in Mr. Cowell’s office right away.” The man’s voice said. I mumbled an okay and jumped up out of my seat. Yes. I do work for THE Simon Cowell. It’s not a big deal. I barely see him anyway. I stumbled to his office, wondering if I did anything wrong. My heart was racing as I reached the large wooden door. I slowly turned the knob and walked in. He was sitting at a large wooden desk that was cluttered with miscellaneous items. Records decorated the walls. He motioned for me to take a seat in front of him. I sat in the rather large comfy chair and pulled my skirt down a little bit. I ran my fingers through my long, dirty blonde hair and hoped I looked presentable. I heard someone cough from somewhere behind me. I turned around to see Louis Tomlinson and Harry Styles looking back at me. I gripped my chair so I wouldn’t freak out and faint or something. They sat in two chairs a few feet away from me. I swallowed and asked, “Yes Mr. Cowell? What do you need to talk to me about?” I said, shakily.

               “Its okay, Hannah. You aren’t in any trouble.” I let out a deep breath. I felt my nerves calm a little bit. I looked over at the boys who were staring at me with huge smiles on their faces. They were sitting awfully close to each other and my heart flipped a little. “Everything I tell you is very important and confidential. Can I trust you to keep this private?” I nodded my head. “Since you’re only 18, I assume you are familiar with the band, One Direction?” I let out a high pitched yes. They just laughed at me when I blushed. “You also know that these two are single, right?” He asked, putting air quotes around the word, single. I nodded.

                “What does this have to do with me?” I asked. This whole situation was confusing me. It didn’t help that Louis Tomlinson sat a few feet away from me in the famous tight, red skinny jeans and suspenders.

                “Be patient, love. This is where you come in. Listen to Uncle Simon.” Louis said, looking around Harry.

                I turned back to Simon so he could continue. “Well since Eleanor’s contract ended a few months ago-” Simon started, but I cut him off.

                “What?! It’s all true? Eleanor being his fake girlfriend? And Larry is real?!” I asked. Trying, but failing, at not fangirling. Louis and Harry nodded, gazing into each other’s eyes for a moment before focusing on me.

                “Harry and Louis wish to remain secret for at least another year.” Simon. I feel like he expected me to know what’s going on. I don’t. I looked at him, confused.

                “And yes, the moment we’ve all been waiting for.” Harry spoke up. His voice was just how I imagined it.

"This is how it's going to go; we already have the story set up. You can keep your name and everything, no need to change it. Harry and you met about eight months ago, and have been officially dating for about five months. You didn't want to reveal yourselves because you weren't ready for the public eye, considering you're just a normal girl. Tomorrow you will be ready to open up to the public, and we'll reveal this by putting you both in an open setting, where the pap’s are sure to get a picture of the couple kissing and holding hands. An-" I cut Simon off once again.

"Can we cut to the chase, because I'm still barely following?" I admitted. But who knew the next thing out of Simon's mouth was going to change everything in my life, flipping it upside down.

"Tomorrow you are to move in with the boys at their flat and be there for a year, going on tour with them and such. We are going to pay you extra in your pay checks and buy you any essentials you may need. But, Hannah Walker, will you sign this contract and be Harry Styles’ fake girlfriend?" Simon finished.

My jaw dropped as everything Simon had just said registered in my head. I was going to be Harry's girlfriend for the next year. I was assigned to live with One Direction, kiss Harry in public, and go on tours and to all the boys’ concerts.

I grabbed the pen and scribbled my name on the contract; Simon looked up at me and opened his mouth to speak, "It’s been a pleasure doing business with you." He said with a smirk. I waved goodbye to the boys and walked out of Mr. Cowell’s office, tomorrow was going to be the start of something completely new, was I up for the challenge? Well, I guess we'll find out.