Prologue

(Takes place before Hunger Games)

Most characters belong to Suzanne Collins.

Prologue
Katniss's Point of View

The arrow flew through the air, finding it's home in the rabbit's eye. I smiled to myself at the perfect shot I'd just made. I looked over to see Gale smile at me, happy to finally catch something today. It was a slow day in the hunting area, but I'd killed the perfect piece of meat, an fat rabbit.

"NO!" The shriek came from behind me, scaring away any possible meat in a five mile radius. I sighed, and turned to look at my little sister. I don't know why I'd decided to take her, probably because she said she wanted to learn how to shoot an arrow, but every time I shot an animal she'd freak out and try to help it. Prim's face was stuck in a look of complete disgust and shock.

"It's okay, Prim." Gale sighed. I knew he didn't like this either, Prim being here. She was a pain to have around. "It's one rabbit. If it helps, we probably killed it more humanly than any other animal out here would've." He explained. Prim still looked traumatized by the death of the furry creature.

"Come on." I sighed, picking up the rabbit carcass. I put the animal in my game bag, which was much too light for my liking. Prim looked devastated by the act of stuffing the dead animal into an bag, but I didn't care much; food is food.

"Should we start heading back?" Gale asked, looking at the sky, which was a peach color. I nod, and the three of us begin heading back towards the fence. Prim rambles on about animal cruelty as we walk, and Gale keeps giving me 'Why'd we bring this girl?' looks.

After a long debate about the hunting of fuzzy woodland creatures, we make it to the fence. Without thinking I begin to get on my knees to slide under the fence. But Gale's voice stops me.

"Katniss! Stop!" Gale warns, I stand on my knees and give him a weird look. Prim looks scared, and Gale holds up his hand for silence. In that gap in our speaking I hear it, the silent buzz of the fence alive with electricity. I quickly stand up, and stare at the fence.

"Woah, it's actually on?" I say, more to myself. Gale grips my shoulder.

"Let's wait it out." He says, looking up at possible trees for us to relax in.

An hour later we're still waiting, hanging out in the trees. It's dark by now, and Prim is really beginning to worry. I worry as well, my mother probably thinks we're dead. She told me this morning she would be with an sick man for most of night, and that she would have to give him all her attention.

"Should one of us hop down?" I ask, trying to decide how much damage the height we're at would inflict on us.

"Um, okay. Want me to?" Gale asks, I look at the ground about twenty feet below.

"I can do it." I say without thinking. I shimmy to the end of the branch we sit on, which leans out over the fence.

I brace myself and slide off the branch. I flail through the air, and I find myself spinning around so I'm going to land on my back. I feel the impact of the ground on my back, then everything goes black.

A/N: I"M BAAACK! This is my new story, I hope you guys enjoy!