Prologue

• Dedicated to Poppy Pomfrey

-------The Werewolf Cub------

-----Prologue-----

She ran. There was nobody that could stop her in her decision. She didn't care if she was only nine years old, without money, without food, just she, Moony – her stuffed wolf, and seven Harry Potter books. They threw her out, so who was she to stay at that awful orphanage. She didn't know how long she ran, she just knew she ran. She was just like a butterfly, only without wings. She didn't even notice she had run into a city she once lived in. Oxford. She finally collapsed from exhaustion and looked around herself. Her eyes grew large when she took in the area.

"But…" she stammered, "I must have run for only a few minutes, how could I have run all the way here?"

It was strange, she ran from London for Christ's Sake! She hugged her plush wolf to her anxiously. Then, she caught a glimpse of a newspaper sticking out of a bin nearby. She looked closer and what she saw made her gasp.

It was year 1989!

"But…" she stammered again, "it was year 2012 when I ran away!"

She stood up and looked around herself. The city hardly changed from when she left it when her adoptive parents died, at least from what she remembered. She never knew her real parents – they both died in a plane accident when she was a year old. At least, that's what they told her.

She went over and sat on a bench and glanced in the air. There was a low rustle in the tree branches and a squirrel showed itself in its full glory. The girl smiled slightly and started to hum softly. A voice interrupted her trail of thoughts.

"What are you doing here, all alone, little girl?"

She flinched slightly and turned around to see who spoke to her. It was an elder woman. The woman sat herself next to her and repeated the question. The girl hugged her Moony tighter and answered, "I ran away."

The woman looked at her with a raised eyebrow, and the girl recoiled.

"They threw me out anyway, so why stay there?" she said stubbornly. The woman looked at her again, then said, "It just surprised me; you're such a small girl. How old are you?"

"Nine," she replied, "I'll be ten next month."

The woman smiled and said, "How nice. By the way, my name is Perenelle."

The girl giggled, "That's a silly name."

Perenelle chuckled too, and then said, "Yes, it is. And what is your name?"

The girl smiled brightly and answered, "My name is Fianna! Fianna Finchley!"

Perenelle smiled at the girl happily.

"Then you are just the person I waited for, for so long."

Fianna looked at her with a raised eyebrow.

"Really?" she asked sceptically. Perenelle laughed and said, "Yes, Fianna. I waited for you."

"Why?"

"Let me tell you a story first, what do you say?"

Fianna nodded and stayed quiet. Perenelle began, "A few years ago, it will be nine next month to be exact; a girl was born to a werewolf and a witch. They were desperate to hide their only child, as it was forbidden for a werewolf to have children."

Fianna couldn't help herself, "A werewolf? A witch? I thought they only existed in stories!"

Perenelle shook her head and answered, "No, sweetie, they exist, because I am a witch myself."