o6 implosion

• Dedicated to Kory Shore

[ o6 implosion ]

She couldn’t remember the last time she’d ever gone to church.

Brown tendrils of curly hair had been pulled sterilely back into a braid, makeup scrubbed clean from her face, and donned in her Sunday finery on a cool Thursday afternoon; Exodus stared up at the looming cross before her. She couldn’t call forth a moment when she’d been in this position before, basking in the light of penitence and reverence. Most people would say the same, but this felt different; like someone had ripped the experience from her memory and left her with a ragged sentiment.

A sigh slipped past her lips as she carried herself into the sacred building, and her entire body clenched with a sharp intake of breath. The crowd of swarming people had frozen over to stare at her, mystified, like she was some foreign creature. She watched then as they melted and transformed into an animosity so great, she almost dared to say it could rival that of God’s.

Almost.

The only reason she allowed for such hatred to flow towards her was something plaguing her worse than their glares. There was a brooding part of her that was festering more than usual, and she felt that there would be no medication that could make her feel any better. She’d heard a few people say good things about going to church, and she expected that at least some kindness would be extended to her. Clearly, it was not going as she had planned.

Stepping lightly, as not to disturb anyone further, she slid into the last pew and attempted to make herself as small as possible. Eyes straight ahead and attention glued on the cross decorated with a ceramic Caucasian Jesus, Exodus began her silent prayers in time with the service’s prelude.

The organ’s lazy drones made her eyes droop, but she could feel the heated glares on her side, and spurred herself awake. Melancholy voices drifted into her ears as the choir passed and people stood in silence. She followed the example of those around her, careful of her amateur reverence in the place of worship.

It wasn’t until half an hour into the service that she could hear a ringing in her ears. She winced and attempted to ignore it, but it persisted, taking her attention away from the preaching of the old and slightly winded priest. She strained her eyes, pursed her lips, and she was still struggling ten minutes later to stop the infernal noise from taking over entirely.

She rose silently, and slipped out into the hall just as the ringing became a splitting headache. Gasping, she felt her legs tremble and her vision began to dot with spots. Fear struck her like lightning, paralyzing her in an instant. But what was she afraid of? Staring and lukewarm looks from aging women and absent minded men was nothing new, yet her heart was racing at a mile a minute, like it couldn’t wait to just rip through her chest.

Limbs still quivering, she forced herself to move, returning to her seat after she’d caught her breath. There was nothing she could feel that would explain something of that nature, that sudden force that made every bone in her body feel like they were being ground up. She sucked in a breath and turned her attention back on the service, which hadn’t seemed to move on from the preaching of destruction from the priest.

At least, not immediately.

She watched as the elderly man seized up, frozen in motion, the words ceasing to leave his lips. His face began to turn sickeningly blew, and then a horrid screeching filled the church. The immaculate observation turned to gaudy fear and panic. People ran to the pulpit to pull him down, but it was already too late.

His heart had burst in the most horrific way, the metal implant in it shredding his insides as it went. Blood poured from his mouth and his skin turned the color of a bruise, fluid pooling beneath his skin.  There was another shriek, sixteen bouts of fainting, and two proclamations directed at the heavens. A sea of people rushed for the doors, but Exodus was not among them.