Part 1

"Aspenkit! Wake up, lazybones!"

       The voice of one of his brothers, Brackenkit, cut through Aspenkit's dream, making him snuggle deeper into his mother's soft fur, grumbling softly.

       "Brackenkit, darling, he'll open his eyes when he's ready to, you know this." Aspenkit's mother, Gingerfall purred gently, her soothing voice warming Aspenkit. "I said the same thing to Pinekit when he first opened his eyes. You just need to be patient."

       Aspenkit heard his brother whine softly, the whine lingering in his words as he spoke. "But Shadecreek told us that when we all opened our eyes, he'd take us to the spot we were born and tell us the story of it!" Those words were encouragement enough, and Aspenkit opened his eyes, though only for a moment, then closed them again, intent on listening in.

      The small kitten felt his mother stiffen beside him at those words, the temperature around the three cats seeming to drop as Gingerfall spoke in a tense whisper that was like claws of ice sinking into Aspenkit's ears.

       "He told you what?" The kits' mother hissed, her fur bushed slightly with anxiety. "Your father knows kits aren't allowed out of camp. Cloverstar would never approve of it!" The sudden harshness of her tone caused Brackenkit to shrink away, his tail brushing Aspenkit's flank as he did so. 

       "B-but Cloverstar did approve of it! Pinekit and I were there!" Brackenkit protested, his voice rising in a squeak of protest. "She said she'd take us there with Shadecreek herself!" Those words - and Brackenkit's excitement - seemed to make Gingerfall relax a bit, though her fur still prickled somewhat.

       Brackenkit's words marked the rather ironic moment Aspenkit stretched open his wide, blue-green eyes, blinking to get used to the light and colors, earning a gasp from his mother and littermate at the exact same time, which caused Aspenkit to purr in amusement. 

       "What?" Aspenkit squeaked in response to the gasps between the two cats, and the amused glint in his mother's deep green eyes. "Was it something I did?"

       "Oh, my little warrior," Gingerfall purred, licking the tuft of fur that fluffed up between Aspenkit's ears lovingly. "You always have had a sense of timing, ever since you were born."

       Brackenkit pattered at the nursery floor excitedly with his front paws, his pale blue eyes shining. "I'm going to get Pinekit!" He chirped, giving Aspenkit a rough lick on his cheek before dashing out of the nursery with the speed of a striking snake, his tail swishing energetically. Aspenkit stood up and started to follow his brother, but he barely got two steps before his mother pulled him back, holding him in place with a paw as she began to wash him with long strokes of her rough tongue.

       This made the pale ginger tom-kit wriggle, letting out squeaks and huffs of indignation and protest as he tried getting away from his mother's hold on him, wanting nothing more than to just go outside. 

       "Mama, stop it! I can wash later! You're messing up my fuzz!" Aspenkit's protests fell on deaf ears, as Gingerfall continued grooming her son. He sat there in silence, scowling, as his mother finished her washing, making the tuft between his ears lie uncomfortably flat. When she finished, Gingerfall nuzzled her kit tenderly.

       "This will be your first meeting with Pinekit, and probably your father as well, so I want you to look your best, okay?" Aspenkit nodded, still scowling, not even lightening when his mother purred with fond amusement. "You did better than both of your brothers. Pinekit hid in Sandwish's nest when I tried washing him, and Brackenkit practically threw a tantrum, refusing to stay still. You did very well, little one." Gingerfall explained, nuzzling her son again.

       Brackenkit poked his head into the nursery, frowning a bit when he saw his brother, and the scowl that adorned his face. "Aspenkit, what in StarClan happened to your head?" He asked, looking at Gingerfall as he reached over with a paw, using it to muss up the tuft of fur that was previously smoothed down, making Aspenkit brighten up a bit more, his eyes shining. "Now there, that's much better." He mewed kindly, nudging his brother to his paws..

       Aspenkit turned to his mother, pawing at the den floor impatiently. "Can I go now?" he asked, his tail flicking, jumping up happily when his mother nodded. After giving his mother an appreciative nuzzle, purring, he turned and followed Brackenkit out of the nursery, his eyes widening as he took in the sights around him.

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ so, here's the first chapter of a story I hope to continue for a while. It's the first story I have a solid idea for, and I'm totally open for suggestions on how to improve. Hope y'all enjoy! -Hazel