One

It was a Tuesday morning when she met Clark. The freezing, crisp air flew into her bookstore when he barged in, hands shaking, hat falling off of his head, with one foot missing a shoe. She didn't like the cold, and she didn't like those who let it in.

"Out," she called, "this isn't a charity shelter." As if her name was called, a small tabby trotted in from the still closing door and meandered around until she decided to drink from the Zen Waterfall next to the entrance. She couldn't help a small smile escaping from her lips at the sight of the tabby.

"At least not for humans, right?" The newcomer said with an exasperated grin, reaching out to pet the cat. "You don't have to worry," the man said, placing a half eaten muffin in front of the cat. "I'm a customer." He turns back to face her once he watches the cat sniff his offering and eventually accept it. "I'm..." He trails off as he makes eye contact with her.

"You're about to leave, is what you are." She raises an eyebrow and points to the door. "Back from whence you came."

"Please, I um" He coughs nervously into his hands, which are notably shaking. "I am usually better dressed, and, well, can we start over? I feel like we should start over." He sticks out his hand in greeting, but she stays where she is. "Okay, well, um, I am Clark." He points to himself and laughs quietly. "I am new in town, as I'm sure you've noticed." He tosses his head back to look at something outside, then looks down at his one shoe. "You see..." he trails off with an amused smile, eyes this time trailing to the cat. "My car broke down just outside-its an old Toyota, my uncles-and I was lucky enough to lose my shoe in a battle with the gutter as I got out..." He smiles shyly back at her, splaying his hands out. "And, well, I'm here to buy anything from you that you think would help me get it out."

Ten dollars, twenty apologies, and one broomstick later, the man was gone and the bookstore was back to its sole inhabitant. Who, though she would never admit it, found the rest of the day quite pleasant even though she had no way to sweep her floors.