19

Thomas
Thomas leapt forward out of his chair, completely startled by what lay on the screen in front of him.
"Teresa... what is that?" He said, his voice quivering slightly.
Teresa shook her head in disbelief.
"No, no it can't be.. they promised.. they said they wouldn't." Teresa muttered quickly under her breath, zooming in on the monitor.
What Thomas saw before him was something absolutely monstrous. It sent chills down his spine, especially when it moved, or rather, rolled around the maze.
It made horrific sounds as it's many spikes and spears tapped against the cold, stone ground.

"You knew about this?" Thomas said, flipping his head towards Teresa, who was nervously scratching her neck.
"Yes Tom, I did. But I didn't know they
would ever release them." She paused and shook her head. "They're lethal."

Thomas felt his heart sink, further and further down until it felt like it was sitting in his gut.
Newt was in there. Newt was so incredibly close to that thing.
Thomas didn't have any words, so he reached out to her inside his head.
"What are they called?"
There was a short pause from Teresa.
"They're called Grievers."

Even the name brought a sweeping feeling of nausea across Thomas' body.
He didn't think he could handle asking what they could do, so he was quiet.

"So that's the meeting we were banned from going to huh?" Thomas said, sipping some water from the bottle that sat on his desk, shakily.
Teresa nodded.
"Janson promised I would be there when they discussed anything to do with the grievers, but I guess I shouldn't trust him to keep promises in the future."
Thomas shook his head. "I don't think I ever trusted him, don't think I ever will."
Teresa sighed. "Remember Tom, WCKD is.."
"Good, yeah yeah, I know" Thomas replied, cutting her off sharply.
"I'm just having trouble believing that right now."
"They're not designed to come out during the day, and I'm sure Alby knows no one should be behind those walls after dark." Teresa peered at Thomas warily through her hair.
"Newt is going to be fine Tom, I'll-" She paused "We'll make sure of it."
Thomas nodded his head, not feeling like saying anything else.

Newt
"Hey Alby, what's that sound?" Newt said, pressing his ear up against the stone walls.
Night had fallen, and the large stone doors had slid, loudly and painfully together.
"Newt, I've learnt not to question anything that goes on in that maze, so neither should you."
Newt ignored him and focused harder, and latched on to the sounds he could hear.
Click. Scrape. Tap. Click. Scrape. Tap
The sequence continued like that, every sound seeming more mechanical than the other.
Alby could tell Newt was worked up about it and so let out a deep sigh and walked over to press his ear to the wall.
Alby jumped just a little at the sound, with wide eyes.
"No, I've never heard that before." Alby said, shaking his head and standing back from the hard grey barrier that stood between them and the unknown.
"It sounds like a machine." Newt commented, anxiously looking at Alby.
"I-I wouldn't worry about it too much Newt, it won't bother us."
He could tell Alby was just trying to make him feel better, because he didn't look as calm as he spoke.

He made the executive decision to not worry about it anyway. Alby was probably right, it wouldn't bother him. Those walls were thick, so surely, they'd keep everything sealed away, or at least he hoped they would. He was just glad he didn't have to go behind those bloody walls anytime soon. Everything about them gave him the creeps.

"Seriously, Newt. Just relax and go to sleep." Alby said, pressing his hand on Newt's shoulder and giving it a squeeze. "I'll protect you" He said, followed by a wink, that made Newt shudder. "'Night then Alby."

"'Night then Newt."

Newt watched Alby walk away, watching the way his body moved and listening to his footsteps softly meeting the ground. He let out a sigh. "Not gonna happen" He muttered under his breath.

He stepped back wards so his back and his spine were pressed against the cold, hard stone. He breathed some fresh and cold night air into his lungs. He focused on the silent of the night and heard it again.

Click. Scrape. Tap.

It relaxed him. It was formulaic and repetitive. He longed to know what the source of it was, and something within him wanted to climb up the shucking walls and see what was behind, but he knew he couldn't. Unless he had a death wish.

He pulled his knees into his chest and became as small as he could and rested his chin on his knees and closed his eyes.
He pushed his memory, in attempt to picture what his life was like before he arrived here.

He pictured his parents, sitting on the edge of his bed, watching over him.
Surely, this would bring him comfort, but their faces were blank, and featureless. They owned no resemblance to him or anyone he knew. It was unsettling.
And still, how did he know they even existed, or if they even loved him?

They must have. He could feel it.
The feeling was rooted in a cold and distant place, but it was there nonetheless.

But alas, he fell painfully back into reality almost as soon as he had left.

Click. Scrape. Tap.
Click. Scrape. Tap.

It was time for Newt to sleep.

hi !!!
thank you to the commenters who have been incessantly reminding me to update.
it's really been a while, so i'm sorry.
i hope u still enjoy
see u soon <3