VIII

Before the chapter begins, I just want to say a huge thank you to everyone who has read/voted/commented at all. I've only had this account for about 2 1/2 weeks and I'm almost at 4k reads on this story. That's huge for me, it really means a lot.
Now, onto more heartbreak.

Heartbreak hurt.

It hurt in ways that you wouldn't even think of until it happens.

It hurts in places you didn't know could hurt.

Zak's heart hurt. His head, his knees, his hands. Everything hurt.

He couldn't stop it. He wanted all the pain in his body to stop, but he couldn't. He tried to tell himself it wasn't a big deal, that it would pass over and everything would be okay. His mind didn't believe him.

He spent the morning in bed, watching the sun rise behind his curtains. He was curled up under his comforter, looking like a large ball.

Although he didn't want to, he knew he had to get up and go to work.

The place he dreaded most. The place he could bump into the person who broke his heart.

Zak couldn't even say his name in his head, let alone out loud, without breaking down into a fit of tears for the thirtieth time in the past 24 hours. He vowed to never think of his name again, hopefully subduing some of the pain in his heart.

After what felt like an eternity, the bright yellow sun finally rose into the pale blue sky and he knew it was time to get up, no matter how much he didn't want to.

He flipped the comforter over and pulled himself away from his bed, stumbling toward the closet.

Zak picked out a sweater his mom had gifted him for Christmas last year, which was a dull purple-grey. It was a woven material, made out of large strands of wool. The sweater was chunky and hung off Zak's frame as if it belonged to someone much larger than him, but it made him feel less vulnerable.

He also grabbed out a pair of black joggers, hoping he wouldn't be too hot in the store. Usually, the air conditioning was on so he wouldn't have to worry too much.

He pulled both items on before drifting over to the bed to grab his phone. He made sure he had his earbuds before he made his way down the hall, somewhat hoping his mom would already be gone or still asleep. Zak wanted to avoid talking about yesterday at all costs.

Luckily, he was right. His mom left a plate on the table with toast and jelly, along with a note.

Zak,
I didn't want to disturb you after last night. I'm not going to force you to talk about it if you don't want to, but you know I'm here if you need someone to vent to.

I took Callie to school, she had a tutoring session with a teacher. I made the toast earlier so you might have to heat it up.

I love you so much, sweetie.

Love, Mom

Zak teared up reading the note. He knew his mom was there for him no matter what, and he truly appreciated every moment. He wanted to do something to let her know how much he loved her. He would have to think of something while at work.

Zak stuck the toast in the microwave to heat it up, since it already had jelly on it he knew he couldn't stick it back in the toaster or he'd make a mess.

He ate in silence, his mind going in a million different directions. He had so much to think about, which was overwhelming.

Once he was done with breakfast, he cleaned up and dragged his feet over to the front door to put his shoes on.

Now, he had to go to work.

Zak really didn't want to, but no matter how much he pleaded with himself, he couldn't get his mind to agree to calling in. He couldn't leave the store unattended, and Vincent didn't get there until almost midday.

So, to work he went.

__________

Zak opened the store as usual, turning on the lights and flipping the sign on the door to Open. He counted the money in the register and made sure he had everything he needed.

The day was boring, as normal. Throughout the day, Zak kept trying to think of something to get his mom or something he could make her to show his appreciation.

He asked Vincent too, who had the idea to, "Make her muffins."

Zak thought that was stupid, he couldn't even bake.

He kept thinking throughout the day since barely any customers stopped in. He didn't even realize when Vincent was saying goodbye to him, his head was too clouded with thoughts.

The afternoon went just as slow as the morning, barely anyone came in and the people that did were in and out in a few minutes. No one ever liked to spend time in the store, which was a relief to Zak. He wanted as little conversation as possible.

Zak spent his free time counting inventory and going over online orders, something he often neglected to do until closing time. He never enjoyed the online ordering system, it was glitchy and never saved changes he made.

One order in particular caught his eye. The name was burned into his corneas. He couldn't look away.

Darryl.

He had never ordered online before. He always came in and looked through the new arrivals. Never, ever, had he just chosen a game online.

Zak cautiously clicked on the order, pulling up further information.

The order was placed last night for a game that was currently in stock at the store. He was also going to be picking it up, not having it shipped.

Zak's heart began to pound, his head reeling with different thoughts. He didn't want to see Darryl, he didn't even want to think about him.

He wanted to be left alone.

He could feel tears starting to form in his eyes, but he quickly wiped them away when he heard the bell above the front door jingle.

Zak turned around, facing the back of the store. He wiped at his eyes furiously, trying to stop tears from coming. He couldn't cry in front of a customer. In order to make it look like he was busy, he grabbed a shipment box and started sorting through it.

"If you need anything, please let me know." He called out to the customer, unaware of where they were in the store.

That is, until he heard a voice directly in front of the counter.

"Zak, we need to talk."