30.

31 weeks

"Tell me what to do." Calum says, his chocolate eyes darkened by panic.

"I-I don't know. I was asleep and it's just like a tightening feeling all across my stomach. At first it was kind of painful but I rolled over and now it's just uncomfortable, like a menstrual cramp."

"You think you're in labor?" He asks with his face hardened.

"I hope not, it's way too early." My voice shakes.

"Should we call Dr. Mays?"

"It's like two in the morning in LA, I don't want to wake her."

"I couldn't give less of a fuck if I wake her up. I'm calling her." I don't respond until finally offering a slight nod. I know there's no stopping him when he's made up his mind. It would at least give us some answers.

Calum presses his phone to his ear and puts it on speaker once it's ringing.

"Hello?" The voice of someone being awoken from sleep calls through the phone.

"Hi, Dr. Mays. It's Jessie Goodwin and Calum Hood calling. Jes and I are in New York for my job and she's experiencing some cramping. It woke her up and we're just a little concerned. After what happened a few months ago we're just really on edge and hoped you might could tell us what might be going on."

"Jes, can you hear me?"

"Yes ma'am." I answer.

"Describe the cramps."

"At first, when it woke me up, it was painful but then it was more just uncomfortable. It lasted maybe ninety seconds then went away. It got slightly better when I changed positioned."

"You're on a trip, yes?"

"Yeah."

"Have you drank a proper amount of water?"

"Um..no probably not."

"How many times did you experience the cramping?"

"Twice in the past hour. We called right after the second one ended."

"Okay. First of all, I don't think you're in labor." I breathe a sigh of relief. "I think you're experiencing Braxton Hicks contractions which are just your body's way of getting ready for delivery. If they get any more frequent that 10-20 minutes apart or if they start to last longer than a minute or two give me a call back. I think you may be a little dehydrated which could have made them strong. Drink some water and get some rest okay? Call me if anything changes."

I say goodbye and hang up. Collapsing into Cal's chest.

He presses his lips against my forehead and I breathe in his familiar scent. "If she gives us this much trouble now, just think how much of a mess we're going to be once she's here."

"Were going to have our hands full. That's for damn sure." I laugh, the seriousness of the moment evaporating. "I guess we should try to get some sleep before you have to be up."

He nods and flips the covers back sliding underneath. Our bodies tangle together as he pulls me against his warm skin, his breathing slowing until it's even and soft snores spill from his plump pink lips.

32 weeks

"Do I really have to go to this?" Cal whines from beside me a week later.

"You put the kid in me. You want to be there when she comes out. So yes, you really fucking do."

Cal whines in protest but follows me into the hospital and down a hallway to where the childbirth class is being held. Cal had too many commitments for the 6 week course so we'd opted for the all in one day course. I look around upon entering and see four other couples already inside waiting. We're a few minutes early but apparently the last to arrive and the instructor stands up and begins as soon as we're seated.