Chapter 1

When I woke up I put on my drab, grey, outgrown, clothes and began to go to work. I sat on the ground and began to sew. I was almost done with a "Trus" hand stitched tee" when I felt a hot breath on the back of my neck. I turned around and realized it was my imprisiner/boss.

"Wow Jenny, you sure are getting better at those stitches, you get a few almonds." he said with a tight grin.

"Really? Thanks" I said as he dropped them in my hands.

He left, ALMONDS?!?! Ugh I'm allergic, so I will just give them to Brent. The master needs alot of explaining. A long time ago he kidnapped a whole bunch of 6 and 7 year olds and made them sew. When they got old enough they each were assigned a "mating partner" untill they were 18 when the men were killed and the women seperated into th masters many "mating partners" or forced to continue working untill they die. "Mating partners", thats what he called it, the babies are transported to a nursery where 3 old women take care of them. You are assigned these "mating partners" when you turn 13. And you just hang out untill your 14.The ceromoney is in a week.

I felt someone playing with my hair. "Brent is that you? If its not I'm gonna be a little freaked." I heard a giggle, and then he sat down next to me.

"Jenny, dont leave me for partner, please." he begged.

I punched him in the arm and said "Little dude, please, you know I dont get a choice and you will be a uncle, wont that be fun." he smiled said "That does sound fun." then left. He is a no sunner, like most kids in here, born and raised in a cell. Only two kids are not no sunners, me and Duke.

When we were found dazed wandering in the streets by the master, he held our hands and lead us to this prison. He named the boy Duke because he would whimper and I would have to pet his hand so he would be quiet. Luckily I had a name already, Jenny was written on my arm when he found me. I am pale but less pale than the no sunners.

The buzzer rang so we went to our cells. Mine was next to Brent's so it gave me a little bit of comfort in this cold room. The slate was opened and the tray slid in. Beef jerky, two apple slices, half a baked potato, ten raisins, and some almonds. I took the almonds and put them in the large crack in the solid metal wall that separated me and Brent. The light went off signaling us to go to sleep. As I drifted off to the only place I am free Brent whispered a quick and quiet thanks.

I awoke to this. "Good morning friends, I would like to annouce that the ceromony is going to be moved up a little bit, now please begin getting ready for work now."