Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

Almost eight hours have passed and I've been sitting in the exact same spot on the couch inside the waiting room. I only moved when I went inside the chapel and prayed for my mother to wake up and her safety. The room was empty when I came back, the people previously there probably went home, except for Ethan who was slouched in his armchair. He had his head leaned back and he was snoring lightly. Even through the hardships of tonight, it brought a smile to my face.

I walked over to him and shook his shoulder softly. He stirred in his sleep but didn't wake up. I shook him again saying his name this time. "Ethan. Wake up."

He blinked his eyes open slowly and looked at me blearily. "Char? Everything okay?"

I nodded. "No news yet. Uh, it's almost five in the morning. Maybe you should go back and have some rest."

"No, it's okay. I'll keep you company."

"No, go," I insisted. "I can handle myself now. The doctors move my mom to another floor and I'm about to go up there to see how she's doing. I just let you sleep for a few more minutes until I wake you."

"That's good to hear," he said sitting up straighter. "How about this, we both go home to rest and you can come back and I'll stay home. Although you have to promise to call me if you need anything, okay?"

I nodded and smiled. "Alright sounds good." I wasn't planning on staying home for too long, just enough time to shower and change into proper clothes. I was, after all, still in my pajamas.

He stood up and we both went outside to where our cars were parked. Ethan unexpectedly pulled me in for a hug and I instinctively wrapped my arms around him.

"Thank you for being there for me," I mumbled into his chest.

"No problem," he said pulling away and giving me a smile. "Take care, alright?"

"You too," I said and walked away to the other side of the parking lot to where my car was parked.

I got in and took a deep breath before starting the car. I knew I had to carefully concentrate on solely driving because my mind was occupied with so many things with my mother and Nate. I finally started driving and reached my condo longer than it should be. I jogged to the elevator and tapped my foot impatiently inside the elevator. Once the doors opened, I jogged out of it and to my condo unlocking it quickly.

I took a cool, ten-minute shower and got out the second I was done rinsing my hair free of shampoo. Next, I put on some sweats and a baggy sweatshirt since it got cooler this week. Before going back to the hospital, I went to the kitchen and boiled some water to pour into my cup of Ramen noodles.

While waiting for it to boil, I sent a text to Alli informing her on what happened last night, and also Harmony adding in the detail that she's in charge of the office for today. They sent back their well wishes and prayers, and I proceeded to eat my breakfast.

Once I was done, I went back outside and got into my car driving myself once again to the hospital. It was just like yesterday night. I was driving in panic and worry over my mother not knowing anything that has happened to her. This morning, I was still in worry but this time hoping that my mom woke up from coma. The doctors said that coma can last eight hours at the least. It's past that and I have a small part of me wishing that was the case here.

When I got to the hospital, I went to the ICU unit instead of the emergeny floor. I already knew the room number but hadn't visited her yet. I just couldn't bring myself to see her in a situation like that.