Chapter 1

Blue. Like sunlight reflecting against the glasslike chlorine filled water of a swimming pool. The way the light bounces off each small crease in the clear blue blanket of water. That was the only way to describe Riley's eye colour. Moonlight streamed in through the open window, casting rays of shadow and light across Riley's imperfect skin. Her eye-lashes licked at the air as they opened and closed in the darkness.

She turned her head, causing her short blonde hair to brush against her cheeks. The feathers inside her black pillow rustled quietly as she propped herself up on one elbow to peer out the window. It was raining. The water drops sliding down the window pane reminded her of the accident all those years ago. She squinted her beautiful eyes into narrow slits as she tried to make out what lay beyond the falling drops and darkness. The silhouette of the mailbox at the end of the driveway flickered in and out of her view as the rain lashed against the window. A sigh escaped her lips and she rolled back around towards the darkness of her room.

She closed her eyes and her breathing became deeper as she drifted out of consciousness and into a dream. Darkness filled the thin slit between her eyelid and her pupil, then suddenly a blaze of red and yellow erupted in her mind. Her precious eyes reflecting her thoughts. A dragon with massive wings, soaring through the oncoming wind, breathing its bursts of fire and clouds of smoke. The dragon took a swift turn downwards and a rainbow flashed through the air for a split second. A large griffin twisted out from thin air, its wings beating furiously to keep up with the raging dragon. A ripple effect then exploded from the air, and a tiny phoenix burst out from within it, flying straight towards the dragon. The griffin clawed at the dragons back as it neared, drawing blood. The dragon wrenched its head sideways and tore the griffin from the sky, digging its teeth into the griffin's body before hurling it towards the ground far below. The griffin writhed in agony as it fell through the air, screeching as its fresh blood was ripped away by the wind. The dragon turned back to the approaching phoenix, its wings still thrashing at the air as it gained speed. Head to head, angry eyes locked on each other as they collided. Bursts of energy seemed to explode around them and suddenly the scenery had changed.

Riley's eyes tore open, landing on her mirror in the darkness. A tiny ball of light appeared, flickering on and off and drifting around. She rubbed her eyes and looked back to the mirror. The ball of light remained. Riley glanced out the window, looking for something that could be reflecting onto her mirror. Finding nothing, she frowned. Reaching out she pulled back her black duvet, her slim legs sliding out from under it. They made contact with the cold wooden floor and she bit her lip. Shifting her weight, she pulled herself upright.

Her heart beat sped up and she shakily took a step forward. The ball of light shuddered and a whisper filled the air. It was like a breath, but it's sound seemed to form a language of sorts, like a verse in hushed secret. She shuffled forward and watched as the glowing orb shuddered as it had done the first time and repeated the same untranslatable sentence. Riley took one last step, and it was right in front of her. This time, she understood what the whispered message was.

"Come closer dear, let me see your pretty face."

Riley's mouth opened slightly in shock and her eyes grew wide. A sudden blast of freezing wind bit at her exposed legs causing her to look down. When she looked up again, her mirror had transformed into what looked like a window to another world. It almost resembled a watercolour painting, streaks of dark green making up a vast forest, a large patch of white hidden between the green as snow and a dark blue expanse of night sky. There was no moon.

"Go ahead dear, it's your destiny."

Riley glanced at the ball of light and began to make out a woman's face within it. As if her facial features had been forced into a tiny lightbulb. A kind smile and loving eyes. Riley immediately felt a tug of trust for the woman.