The mistake

Just before I got close enough to the blonde woman I stopped walking, my body shaking ever so slightly. “Oh, I-“ I shook my head, why did I do this at this time of day? With my hand I hit myself on the head and turned around; leaving the crowd as quickly as possible because it was making me feel dizzy. Being in busy places, like this, was horrible for me. It felt like everybody was staring at me and calling me names. Not that I cared, of course, but still.

I ran through the small alleys in the busy city until I got out of it. Breathing fast from running, sweat dripping down from my forehead. My stomach was growling loud and I knew I had to find something to eat. "Rob, steal..." I whispered, still shaking a little as I had done before.

A heavy voice in my head told me to steal an apple from the fruitshop on the corner of the street. A risky task, it was, but it would give me some more food to survive another day. That actually sounded pretty bad 'survive another day', as if I was dying any minute now. One thing was certain; I wasn't dying tonight. That blonde woman, however, was going to. Another evil grin appeared on my face. The feeling that I got when thinking about killing somebody made me feel a lot better.

The only problem now was that it was only two PM, which meant I had to wait for at least ten hours before I could even attempt to kill someone. A loud sigh left my mouth as I walked further into the alley. "Now, we wait."

Several hours later I was still sitting in the alley. The wind had gotten colder and I could smell in the air that it would be going to rain later today. Not that I cared; with being able to murder someone in prospect. "She will bleed," I said to myself, rubbing my hands together. Both to make them warm and to show how excited I had gotten. "Bleed by the neck, bleed until she's death!" I couldn't help but giggle a little scary. Luckily no people were around, because it would be very awkward if there were. 

"Okay, now get up. Get. Up." The dark voice in my head was back; showtime! I pulled up the large hood from my jacket to shield my face from the rain that was about to come down from the clouds. 

The streets were dark now and not many people were outside. Every once in a while a car was passing by, but I did not care about it now I was determined to succeed on my job. It wouldn't pay itself in money; but the happiness I got from it was all worth it. And besides; the woman I was about to kill was one of my biggest bullies in Highschool, third on the list I had made. They were all bullies from Highschool, but who on earth would suspect a homeless man like myself from murdering people? Everyone would've probably forgot about me in all those years that had passed.

They bullied me with good reasons, atleast so they thought; I was a so called 'nerd'. Yes, I liked to study, but it was only for my own good. And now, because of their bullying, I didn't have anything. But once my job was done they wouldn't have anything more than I was having. Nothing at all and their families would be in mourning for the rest of their lives. I laughed loud and dark; this was the best idea I have had in ages, well not exactly but it did feel like it.

I knew she would be out and about with friends until about one AM. She was at a local bar called "The Candle". It was a bar where I used to be on my friday nights when my life was still better; so I knew where to find it.

Looking at the lights inside the bar, the well known neon-lights, gave me flashbacks from the times I was there. It was the place where I had my first kiss and got my heart broken for the first time. A wave of aversion fell down on me; how I hated this place! 

Suddenly the door opened and I saw the well known blonde hair of the woman I was about to kill. But she was not alone, as I had planned. She was with two of her friends and they were talking way too loud. How was this possible? Didn't I plan this all right? I looked around desperately; trying to think of a plan but nothing came to my mind. "This can't be true!" I growled while holding my face with my hands. "I had planned this weeks ago and... And now my plan is ruined!" I placed my nails in my skin, pulling at my cheeks and stretching the skin around my eyes. Yes, I was about to lose my mind; I needed to get out of here before they would notice me. 

Behind me there was a large forest, looking a bit scary but not scary enough to not enter it. "That's it!" I said as I saw her and her friends coming closer every step they took. "I need to get away! Fast!" 

As fast as I could I turned around, entering the forest where all kinds of scary sounds could be heard. I sat down against a tree, save from the danger that had come closer and closer. 

Well, this was a night never to forget. How could I have been that stupid? 

I looked around in the forest, sitting against the tree still. Slowly I closed my eyes... Sinking off to another world; my nightmares.