Prologue

• Dedicated to Natsy

“Iori-kun~! Ohayou~!” Emerald waved cheerfully to her bestfriend.

Iori smiled softly. “Ohayou Emi-chan… You seem a lot livelier than usual.”

“Ehh? Is that a bad thing?”

He patted her head. “Of course not.”

A few meters from the two, Iori’s fangirls glared at Emerald’s form. Emerald noticed and intertwined her hands with Iori while sticking her tongue out at the girls.

“You’re so childish Emi-chan.” Iori chuckled.

“Aww~ But you know you love me~”

Iori stayed silent as he kept his smile on his face. He couldn’t argue with that.

The two made their way to their classroom, hands still intertwined. A few boys eyed Iori with envy, while some girls either gave Emerald a stink eye or giggled at the sight of them.

Iori pulled Emerald seat for her and she sighed dramatically.

“My prince~” she giggled then kissed his cheek.

The male doesn’t seem surprised at the gesture. He kissed the back of her hand before taking his seat beside her.

“Neh, Iori-kun, how’s your new sister fitting in your home?” Emerald asked curiously as she rested her chin on her open palm.

“She’s doing alright. She seems really happy to have a lot of siblings. I heard she lived alone before she moved with us because her otou-san is always away on business.”

“Honto? It must feel really sad to live alone. Well, I’m lucky I always have my mom with me even though my dad’s gone.” Emerald looked out the window.

Iori frowned a bit. He hated seeing her sad. He put a hand over hers on her desk. “And you have me too.” He smiled.

At that, her expression brightened. “Hai. I do. Arigatou Iori-kun.”

Satisfied, he focused up front when he saw their professor come in.

.

.

.

.

.

.

“Home~” Emerald sung happily.

“Our gym teacher must have really tired you out, huh?” Iori squeezed her hand as they walked home.

“Mou, he was so mean~ Making the girls run thirty laps on the field. He’s a monster~!” she complained but stopped abruptly when she felt her phone vibrate on her pocket. “Ahh, matte, Iori-kun.”

Iori nodded, gesturing her to answer the phone.

“Moshi, moshi?”

“Emi-chan? Where are you?”

“Mrs.  Landlady? I’m just outside my house. Nande?”

“Your mother was just rushed to the hospital. Heart problems.”

“N-nani?” Emerald’s eyes widened.

“Emi-chan? What’s wrong?” Iori squeezed her hand, worriedly.

“I’m outside the emergency room. Please hurry here.”

“H-hai. Which hospital?” the girl asked frantically.

The landlady told her the name of the hospital then hung up.

“Emi-chan?” Iori repeated, panic setting in as he saw tears at the corner of her eyes.

“I-Iori-kun. Okaa-san is at t-the hospital. I need to get there.”

“I’m coming with you.” The boy said firmly.

Emerald nodded and they rushed to see her mother.