Chapter Ten

"Mitchell."

"Dad."

"Mitchell!"

"Dad!"

The two grown men ran to each other and wrapped around each other's arms, hugging ever so tightly. They jumped around while keeping their hugs intact.

I could not help but smile at the touching scene. When Mr. Hawk had revealed some of his past to me, Nigel, Hansel, and Gretel, I had that feeling that Mr. Hawk missed his adoptive father dearly. I mean, it sounded like that Dr. O'Fallon was a good man.

I suddenly felt something. You know. That feeling that you get when someone is watching you. Now, I knew that it could have been anyone. Like Ava. She may have escaped from me, but that did not mean that she was not hiding somewhere in the hospital and watching me. But because of the heartwarming moment between Mr. Hawk and his father, I thought that maybe, just maybe, that my parents were here.

I know, I know. You may think that I am crazy for thinking that Mom and Dad followed me and Scarlett to the hospital and were keeping their eyes on us. I mean, they were supposed to be dead. Right?

However, it could be possible that they were still alive. How? Well, are you familiar with soap operas? They are always bringing characters back from the dead. You clearly see them die, and then out of nowhere, they reappear.

Now, you are probably going to bring up the argument that this book series differs from any soap operas, and it does. My question to you would be if you remember the plot twist during the funeral. What? You did not catch that plot twist? Then allow me to refresh your memory.

Margaret went up to the casket and took a good inside. Yeah, she was not right in the head at the time. But recall back to when I took a look myself. I stated that what Margaret claimed was true. The casket was empty, and my parents' bodies were not in there.

So was it possible that they were alive? Yes.

When Mr. Hawk and Dr. O'Fallon hugged, I really had this desire to hug my mom and dad. Hug them and never let go.

Mr. Hawk and Dr. O'Fallon stopped jumping and pulled away from each other. It was clear that Mr. Hawk was crying tears of joy because I saw him shed a tear, and he quickly wiped it away.

Dr. O'Fallon took a step back and had his arms out. "My boy," he said. "My, my. You have grown."

"And you have grown...pretty old," Mr. Hawk stated.

Eh. That was true. His father was getting to be an old man.

The doctor placed a hand on his son's chest and gave him a playful shove. "You and your cruel jokes."

"What jokes? My honesty?"

He moved his head up and down, examining his son. "Where have the days gone? It seems like only yesterday that you were my sweet, little boy."

"Dad, I was a teen when you adopted me. Otherwise, you would not have taken me to Zeolex."

"Yeah..." There was sadness in his voice. "...about that..."

"Doctor! Doctor O'Fallon!" a nurse cried as she scurried to him. "You have a new patient." She handed him a clipboard.

The doctor took the clipboard and looked at her with concern. "Is something wrong with my new patient?"

"Yes. She is mentally unstable."

"So...other than that, she is perfectly fine? No emergencies or anything?"

"Nope. She just keeps asking questions while being annoying."

"She is annoying because she is mentally unstable. Like you told me." He hummed as he scanned the piece of paper that was on the clipboard. "Thank you, miss. Next time..." He looked back up at her. "...do not yell the word 'doctor' when there is no emergency."

The nurse rolled her eyes. "Just doing my job as a nurse, sir." With that, she spun around on her heels and walked off.

"Who is your new patient, Dad?" Mr. Hawk asked him.

"According to the information on this paper, it is a young girl. Her name is Margaret Morgan."

I watched as Mr. Hawk's cheeks change to a dark shade of red and realized that he was blushing. It had to be out of awkwardness. His dad was going to see his granddaughter.

"Awkward," Mr. Hawk managed to say out loud.

Told ya.

"Awkward? What is awkward?" Dr. O'Fallon asked. "If you are referring to us meeting each other in the same town, then I agree. Although, even you have to admit, Son, that it is a miracle that we are seeing each other after so many years."

Mr. Hawk rubbed his arm. "Dad, I had always dreamed of seeing you again. In fact, I still think that this moment is nothing but a dream. But that...that is not why I mentioned the word 'awkward.'"

"Alright. What is it then?"

"Your new patient..."

Dr. O'Fallon motioned for him to go on. "Yes?"

"...is my daughter."

He dropped the clipboard. "You...have another daughter?"

"Dad, please cool yourself. She is only my adopted daughter."

The doctor pointed to me. Then at Scarlett. "What about these two?"

"I told you. I adopted them as well."

"Oh. Right." He adjusted his glasses. "That completely slipped from my mind as soon as you announced that earlier." He bent down and picked up his clipboard. "I must have forgotten because I became so overwhelmed that you are here." He placed a hand on Mr. Hawk's shoulder. "My son."

"I do, however, have two biological sons, Dad."

He gasped and dropped his clipboard again. Then he chuckled. "Sorry. I really need to cut that out." He picked back up the clipboard. "So where are my grandsons?"

"Before I show you them...could you do something for me?"

"Of course. Anything for my favorite son."

"I need you to run a test on Margie and Margaret. I need to know if they are twin sisters."